Next Thread
Print Thread
#916189 12/10/16 07:06 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Some people think that Venus could be habitable. And perhaps you might daydream about being closer to the Sun when the long winter nights come, and the temperature drops. After all, "Earth's twin" should be a nice place, shouldn't it? Let's talk about that.

Who wants to go to Venus?

Mona Evans
For news, activities, pictures and more, sign up to the Astronomy Newsletter!

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Among others, NASA team has studied the concept of floating cities on Venus. The team thought it might be (at least theoretically) possible, but there are no plans to fund any further study.

Mona Evans

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Ideas like that are awesome but humans will never be able to do any of it. We cannot even go back to Moon but it's a good thing since we would just destroy these places like we are doing to earth. But, if indeed it works and I am alive I for sure will give my name to be part of it, I would volunteer to go alone!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's an infographic with a few facts and pictures about planet Venus.

Mona Evans

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Right now, if there were a sky-bus heading to Venus, I think the line up of eager passengers would be long. Despite the minor complications of the oppressive heat, the pressure from the atmosphere, the clouded sky, poisonous air, Venus sounds like a much better place than what is coming in from the nightly news on earth.
Your articles on space and astronomy are so well written and informative and on a level that is easy for us non-astronomists to understand.
I thank you for that.
I'm really looking forward to the temperatures on this old earth to warm up so that we can build a bonfire in our backyard and gaze at the night skies again. Television is boring, the news never changes, and there is a world out there waiting to be discovered. Even, if only, from our backyard on the magic carpet ride of imagination.
We need that escape.
Cheers

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Monika, thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you're enjoying some of the articles. And I had a good laugh at your idea of decamping to Venus. (All good laughs welcome!) Warm nights under a starry sky are definitely something to look forward to.

Did you look out for Venus and the crescent Moon last week? I had a great view from our front window. Even saw the ISS one night. But it's been cloudy since then, so I haven't seen Venus and the Pleiades. And I don't think I'll see this tonight either, but you might. EarthSky:
On the middle date – April 3 – the conjunction takes place, with Venus passing a scant 1/4 degree south of Alcyone, the brightest star in the Pleiades star cluster. For reference, the moon’s angular diameter spans about 1/2 degree.

". . . only when it's dark enough can you see the stars" - Martin Luther King, Jr

Mona Evans

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
hi Mona
Sadly, I find I'm not looking up at the night sky as much as I used. I'm definitely going to try and get back into the habit. (Alberta has such an amazing sky, you can literally see for miles.) Since you mention the Pleiades, I should mention that that's where I'm from (I have 6 sisters), kidding of course, but when humanity gets me down, I always say, I'm not from here, and point to that cluster in the sky.
Hoping the sky clears tonight, right now we have snow coming down like Christmas.
Cheers

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.