Next Thread
Print Thread
#932481 03/30/20 11:07 AM
M
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
M
t's all quiet on the northern front. Parts of Canada are warming up, while others are bracing for another round of winter this week. But for once, we aren't talking about the weather, the good or the bad of it. The conversation on everyone's lips the world over is the same: Covid 19 recognized by the misnomer coronavirus.
We are housebound, albeit being divergent, we take walks when the sunshine warms our spirit, and we feel at least partially alive, and more importantly, we cling to that bit of ordinary that was once our freedom to move. Like everything else in life, we took it for granted.
While the numbers of Covid19 patients in Canada are relatively low, still, all preventative measures are in place. Hair studios, dentists, nail salons, and fitness facilities are eerily quiet; there is a new surreal sense when shopping the empty aisles in the supermarkets. No need to social distance yourself in paper goods aisle, the toilet paper shelves are still empty, not sure what everyone's thought process was when they bought up the packages of 2-ply as if they were the new gold and medicine to cure this virus.
This week, I was going to write about Montreal, a fabulous city in Quebec, a metropolis with such a unique European flair. But to experience Monreal, a traveler needs to be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of people. That electric feeling so essential to the livelihood of Canada's oldest city. My article on taking the train across western Canada was postponed a few weeks back when protestors kiboshed the necessary train lines, and now this. All I have left is an opinion to share on how to survive this monumental phase in history. However, it's not the end of the world.
Don't buy into the panic.
Follow the Dr. Semmelweis method: Wash your hands! Please.
Remain courteous.
Cough/sneeze into your elbow and wash your hands.
Don’t touch your face; I know it’s difficult to resist that itch.
We are in this together, and the kinder we are to one another, the easier it will be.
Do those chores that you've been putting off. Clean out the garage, the attic, the closet.
Read a book.
Dust off that treadmill, that Stairmaster or stationary bike.
Learn something new, like dancing or a language.
Turn off social media; you won't learn anything of value unless you are looking at photos of baby animals.
Wash your hands. Oh! I already said that.
Go for a walk.
There's no reason you can't go for a drive and bring a picnic lunch.
Play cards or a board game with your family.
Check on the elderly neighbor.
Smile-there's no reason not to.
Remember that Wii game stored someplace in your house--dust it off.
Knit something.
Write a letter to a friend or relative.
Pick up the phone and rekindle that long-distance feeling.
Wash the walls, dust your light fixtures, vacuum the car, make the windows sparkle,
Look at old photo albums.
Change the conversation to something meaningful.
Finally, take down the Christmas lights! And while you're up there, clean those gutters.
Then wash your hands. Again.
Watch a black and white movie.
Spread out a puzzle.
Binge-watch all seasons of Oak Island.
Paint by numbers.
Do a crossword or Suduko.
File your taxes. (I know we got an extension.)
Now's the time. Do something you've been putting off and make the most of it.
A positive attitude goes a long way, and its energy is also good for your health.

A huge thank you to those on the forefront: medical staff, store clerks, staff still producing the essentials we need, waste management, bus drivers, inventors who heeded the call, soldiers, police, truck drivers...remember those people are risking their well being to serve us. Say thank you.

Now I do have a question for those who panicked, stood in the mile-long line ups to rush out and purchase insane quantities of TP. What's it like to see yourself on the evening news? Do you think, yippy, that's me, I got my share of ..., insert bad-word the rest of you. Toilet paper isn't going to save you. Tolerance, kindness, compassion, wipe your nose with that!

And one more reminder, despite this being unprecedented times the world over, in North America we are so lucky. We have so much to be grateful for--never forget that. Don't be sheeple.

Let me know how you are coping and share your ideas on how to survive.

https://www.bellaonline.com/article.asp?id=55992

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Quote: And one more reminder, despite this being unprecedented times the world over, in North America we are so lucky. We have so much to be grateful for--never forget that. Don't be sheeple.

Yes, we have a lot to be grateful for these days. We have knowledge, Zoom, facetime, and other ways to communicate, we can get out to the store. We just need to remember to not be selfish and do what we want when we want - social distancing, stay home, bond with your children, start your garden, do genealogy, clean out your closets. Our pastor did a Bible study this morning on Zoom - it was fun to see our friends and participate. There are virtual trips to take to far off museums and cities around the world.

D
Amoeba
Amoeba
D
Angie,

I'm knitting, writing, and teaching my Dachshund to walk on my treadmill! At just two years old (today! Happy birthday, Ronni!), my dachshund is going stir-crazy. She needs exercise SO badly - and with snow still on the ground here in Alaska, we've always counted on our classes, dog sports and play dates to get regular exercise. Now we are BOTH walking in place, trying to stay healthy and sane.

Angie #932499 04/01/20 06:57 PM
M
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
M
Trying to remain positive during this Covid thing is key. I'm with Ronnie and going a bit stir crazy, but it has been fascinating to see how creative people can be.
Whether you have that bond with your church community, your family, or friends explore options together. We can get through this. We will get through this.
Happy Birthday, Ronni!

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Yes, changes what we do and how we do it. Technology has been great; we are able to connect with apps like Zoom. I participated in a chair yoga session on line and a couple of meetings via zoom. I'm catching up on reading and doing some extras in the kitchen. And, of course,there is always genealogy. The days have flown by.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.