Print Thread
#930596 02/18/19 07:29 AM
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone,

I received an email from Tammy who complains about a sudden ant infestation in her near-the-front-door garden area where she has several containers. Little ant hills all over the place.

She asks for advice on how to deal with the problem (preferably not with poison).

Does anyone out there have any ideas? Have you had a similar problem in the past? What did you do about it? Were the actions taken successful?

Please help if you can,

Many thanks

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 02/18/19 07:31 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Having lived in the country most of the time, ants often visited/played house, actually in the house or garden, but there is no way I wanted to harm them Lestie, so that means no commercial ant killers, or boiling water poured onto their nests.

Instead: lemon rind and juice, strong ground spices (cinnamon, black pepper, chili powder, or cloves), peppermint oil or coffee grounds, put by entry points, around the edges of the home, around nests.

Ants hate all of these things, pack up and leave.

Although I always made sure some nests were kept, as they attracted hedgehogs who had families during the summer months, also, when they were young, my sons were fascinated by the ants incredible organisation, and the complexity of their nests.

Kept them quiet for hours...the sons, not the ants. laugh

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hey Francine, great to hear from you and will pass on the advice to Tammy toute suite! Thank you and it sounds sensible and easy and green and kind.

It could be worth an article too so we'll see. Insects across the world are under attack and there are some scary statistics that float about now and then in terms of how long humanity would have if all the insects 'left'. Bees, butterflies and all other pollinators, we can only lose.

I hope you are well well well and I send bestest,

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.