Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
[Linked Image]

On New Year's Day in Germany just seeing a CHIMNEY SWEEP, "SCHORNSTEINFEGER", in his age old working outfit begins the year in the most promising way possible.

And of course if you are lucky enough to have your nose smudged with soot by a "real life" Schornsteinfeger on January 1, well that is your Good Luck for the year guaranteed. laugh

A "Good Luck Charm" that lasts the entire year, but why are they are lucky? Their story and history...

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi Francine,

This was an interesting article - especially for me living here in the heat of Johannesburg ad South Africa sunshine where I am not sure how anyone cleans their chimneys because I need to find a house with one - not to say there aren't any, just that I don't know where they might be! Okay, take a breath. Anyway, I am sure such a service exists here - and who knows, maybe the lucky smudged noses are to be found somewhere in my neck of the woods.

You say
"A job for life, with a closed society, positions handed down from generation to generation with some families going back to the 18th century, and a "chimney sweep monopoly", means new openings are limited and protected."

Also interesting for several reasons - things don't change anywhere, people are people, staying in the 'family business' is a time-honoured practice everywhere.

Where does everybody get the wood to burn in winter? Sustainable forests? For green reasons, is there a large enough supply for future winter-wood? Electricity takes coal and coal is oh so precious, so just interested and asking, especially since many would also use electrical appliances to get and stay warm.

Anyway, send regards and all,
Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Leslie, yes most of the wood comes from sustainable forests. As you say, for green reasons...and there are seasoned logs, kiln-dried logs, free wood – so lying around and collected, but the most efficient, and becoming more popular every year, are briquettes. These are made from recycled wood or paper and are brilliant with a very high heat output.

These days German Chimney sweeps do far more than sweep chimneys though, as it says in the article their job has become very complicated indeed compared to what it used to be. The only thing that has stayed the same is their uniform...so cute - love it. cool.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi here,

Every country has it daft politicians running around and here in South Africa we are up there with the best! Eskom is a corporation that has the monopoly in providing South Africa with electricity and is pretty reliant on coal in its endeavours.

They have misplaced some don't know how many millions/billions, the figure is too silly to contemplate (telephone numbers anyway), and now this country is struggling with rolling blackouts and what we call 'load-shedding'. The consequent cost to business is huge and depressing, but the band plays on.

I am so much more aware of how the globe is squandering natural resources than I used to be and still trying to catch up. I take three deep breaths whenever I can and try not to keep my head in the sand a l'ostrich. Anyway, I am also trying to do my bit though I am sure I could improve.

Good news about sustainable forests in Germany.

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 02/18/19 02:05 PM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.