Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

Imagine the scene: a starry night in mid-December. As your eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, you start to see movement in the sky. At some point you definitely see a shooting star – properly called a meteor. Welcome to what many people think is the year's best meteor shower, the Geminids.

Geminids – a December Spectacle

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You can see the Geminid meteors all around the sky. However if you see a meteor and imagine its path backwards, it should take you back to Pollux, one of the two bright stars of the constellation Gemini. We see the Geminids as if they were all originating there - that point is called the radiant.

If that's not where a meteor seems to originate, it's what we call a sporadic. These are the ones that are seen every night coming from random direction. The excitement of a meteor shower isn't their origins, but that you're likely to see lots more meteors than usual.

The peak is expected late night/early morning of December 13/14, but Geminids are already being spotted.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
My son in law and I were discussing the telescope and so I suggested this to him for my grandsons.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Great idea, Just need a clear night - can be hard to arrange that! - and there are meteors to see, but also some prominent winter constellations, and also satellites. All of this just needs your eyes, but with a telescope or binoculars, the Moon's worth a look, but will affect dark adaptation for awhile.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Get them interested young - my grandsons are 8 and 5. I picked up a book the night sky for kids.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Google doodles have doodled the Geminids. A series of slides takes us through the asteroid Phaeton coming past, leaving a trail of debris, and the debris as meteors.

And you might be lucky enough to see the real thing!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1812/Geminids-DLopez1024.jpg

The dark sky before dawn during the Geminid peak yesterday morning produced this skyscape from six hours of expsoures. Here's a fantastic Geminid skyscape made from exposures taken over six hoursat the Teide National Park on Tenerife in the Canary Islands. In addition to the meteors, we can see Orion left of center, the Hyades and Aldebaran near the Pleiades toward the right, and Comet 46P Wirtanen. IThe comet is at its closest now - in this picture look for the faint green coma below the Pleiades.

Image Credit & Copyright: Daniel López (El Cielo de Canarias)

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 12/15/18 05:17 PM.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.