Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
When August comes around, the best sky show of the year is also on its way. The Perseids are an annual meteor shower. What's it all about and how can you see it?

Meteor Shower - The Perseids

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The peak this year is expected on the night of August 12. But Perseid meteors have already been spotted and should continue to be until about August 20. What about the night sky in your location? If you go to the site, just change the location to your own city or one nearby.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What's the difference between a meteor, a meteorite and a meteoroid? Is one of them the same as a shooting star? And what about asteroids and planetoids - which one is a minor planet? If any of these terms have puzzled you, here is a guide to help you out.

Meteor or Meteorite and Other Posers

Or the Royal Observatory Greenwich will explain the difference between an asteroid, a comet, a meteor, and a meteorite.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

Kelly Beatty of Sky & Telescope in a podcast to tell you about the Perseids and some other sky sights for August.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Every night, a network of NASA all-sky cameras scans the skies above the United States for meteoritic fireballs. Automated software maintained by NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office calculates their orbits, velocity, penetration depth in Earth's atmosphere and many other characteristics. Daily results are presented on Spaceweather.com.

On Aug. 10, 2018, the network reported 34 fireballs.
(18 sporadics, 15 Perseids, 1 Northern delta Aquariid)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
If you have a clear sky tonight, be sure to go out and watch for Perseids. You won't see anything as magnificent as this image of Perseids over the Pyrénées. Besides the mountains and the arch of the Milky Way, it is also a multi-exposure view. It's very unlikely to see so many meteors at once. The photo was taken by Jean-Francois Graffand last year near the Perseids peak.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The peak of the Perseids is past, but there are still meteors to be seen in a clear dark sky. Here is a lovely view from yesterday showing Mars on the left, two meteors and the Milky Way. Photo taken by Joe Randall at Twin Lakes, Colorado.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Petr Horálek captured on film this Perseid fireball above the Poloniny Dark Sky Park in Slovakia. It's moving about 60 km per second and the green color is real, not a photographic artefact. It left a visible trail called a persistent train, which is shown in the inset frames taken one minute apart. The meteor flash is quick, but there was still a trace of the trail an hour later.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A beautiful timelapse taken in the Jura and Swiss Alps by Adrian Mauduit, The Nights of Shooting Stars, showcasing this year's Perseid meteor shower

Mauduit says:
For four consecutive nights I traveled throughout the Jura and Swiss Alp regions to record [the] nice peak of Perseid meteors with about 40 meteors an hour. This year the conditions were exceptionally good due to the new moon corresponding with the Perseids peak, but also clear nights.

I traveled to several locations. First I drove to 'my backyard' the Jura mountains to get an absolute gorgeous water reflection at the many forested lakes. On the third night for the peak of the Perseids I traveled 2,5 hours away from home to the fantastically beautiful Emosson lake and dam in the Swiss Valais. A gorgeous view of the milky way core passing behind Europe's highest mountains Mont Blanc (4807m) also offered the best 'shower' effect with many bright greenish Perseid fireballs raining down. On the fourth night I travelled almost 4 hours away from home even further east and deeper into Alpine Switzerland. I stationed myself at Grimsel pass, a enowned site for dark skies and actually some of western Europe's darkest ones! I shot some very nice shots in the glaciers and mountains around, with the best reflection shot I have gotten so far and some very nice mist (0:53).

In this short many other things can be seen. The pine green meteors all directed in one direction are Perseids but you can sometimes peek at others that shoot in other directions and burning blue or yellow indicating other metals being combusted. They might come from Alpha Cygnids, Kappa Cygnids, Alpha Capricornids or even North Iota Aquarids. Many other deep-sky objects can be seen: the Andromeda galaxy, Heart and Soul nebulae, North American and Pelican nebulae, close-up shots at the Lagoon and triffid nebulae, the Big Dipper, the Pleiades and California nebula, the Hyades, and if you look closely you can even see the Triangulum galaxy!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

What a great video Mona, thanks for putting it up.

Couldn't see the Perseids or the eclipse here, too much cloud - although it was of course cloudless the nights before and afterwards for both :-) , so it is super to see the Perseids in all their glory. And against such a wonderful backdrop too.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.