Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
A woman I recently met told me that she was robbed a few days before, and her mom, who is in her 80's, was in the house taking a nap at that time. She decided then and there she would get a burglar alarm. She said it was the third time she was robbed! My immediate thought was "Why did you wait?" When something like robbery happens, we may think that the probabilities say it won't happen again. Don't take that chance. Take steps to make your home environment more secure by adding outside lighting; putting locks on windows that prevent them from opening all the way; putting wooden poles or locks on sliding glass doors; improving locks on all doors; and/or getting an alarm system and using it. Feeling unsafe in our homes is the last thing we need as we become more vulnerable in older age.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
Hello to All. I recently posted an article on another fraud on the rise for older persons, medical identity fraud. Check it out. We don't always think about this one. I know when I get my medicare notices,it doesn't occur to me to be sure that the services are correct because I take it for granted. Just something else we should check to be sure we are not being scammed!

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I was thinking of when I had a terrible house fire and had a very negative experience with my insurance company. I realize this is stretching the "fraud" category, but I feel compelled to say this...

Take pictures of what you have in your home, especially things that are precious to you and may be of some value and put them in a safe deposit box or a fireproof container. I had many antiques, paintings, and other items that were destroyed in a storage room in the basement. I couldn't prove anything about them as I had them for years so no receipts. I tried to find pictures inadvertently taken of them at past events in my home just to show what they looked like. So take pictures and keep receipts of valuable items, and put them in a safe place. This will stand you in good stead in case of a robbery or a fire.

Don't think this can't happen to you. No one was more devastated or surprised than I was. I lived in a townhouse and the fire started under the ground from a wire that went from the electrical box outside into the switch box in the house. There was no way to tell that the wire was eroding. Better safe than sorry!!

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
Be careful of political phone calls that ask for money for your Party. If you are making a contribution, do not give out your bank or credit card information. Ask for an address or find the correct address on line and mail in a check. Now is the time when there are numerous phone scams out there and you will never know if your money went to an illegal "front" or not.

P
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
P
I keep getting these fraudulent emails. They seem to be increasing which makes me think they are successful in baiting people. Just a reminder to say be cautious about what kinds of emails you respond to. Always check with your bank before sending any financial information on line!! Or giving out any type of personal information by phone!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Pat - Quality Aging 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.