Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#914957 10/17/16 01:09 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Why in the world is Fat Shaming considered reasonable? Should we harass any person - EVER!! - over how they look?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/sunday-review/the-shame-of-fat-shaming.html

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 10/18/16 12:15 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Your link does not work, it says "Page Not Found".

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Shaming is negative. I think positive thoughts, words, deeds connects and improves us all ...

N
N
It's just that now the word shaming is used too often. People gets offended over anything and they use that word amongst other things. So when people use that word even if it is correct for that situation it lost all meanings thanks to the special snowflakes so those victims of it do not get justice (just like with sexism and racism + the people victims of crimes - nobody is believed anymore because snowflakes screams those words for nothing).

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have fixed the link.

I don't think shaming is used too often at all. I think that fat shaming has been going on for years and fat people were supposed to "take it." To call a person a snowflake for speaking up when they are being harassed is dismissing their valid complaints.

No person should *ever* be made fun of because of their body shape, size, or color. Speaking up when that harassment occurs is never wrong.

I would like to see some evidence that "nobody is believed any more." If anything, people are finally being taken seriously when they speak out.

Low Carb Forum
N
N
These people are called special snowflakes because they freak out over anything. Compliments, someone smiling at them, someone saying hi to them, someone looking at them, nobody looking at them, nobody saying hi to them, it never ends. Or they scream racist or sexist or something else when things do not go their way. It is insane and I am glad that finally people are getting fed up and not taking it anymore, I sure would of loved for these people to have woken up before now but at least they waking up now. Donald Trump will be elected thanks to these snowflakes, everytime one of them make a scene in any way that is at least one more vote for him.

I have been made fun of all my life and one of the things I was (still am) made fun of is me being thin but hey we have to take it because it is not the same as when fat people are being made fun of (just like white cannot be victims of racism and men cannot be victims of sexism).

Being fat is not healthy, just saying that which is the truth is considered shaming. Doctors are being criticised when they say to their fat patients to lose weight. It is insanity. But the funniest is when people say that even thin people can get diabetes, of course we can so imagine the percentage you have to get it when you are fat.

Saying that extra weight is not healthy, that with the more weight you have the more chance you have to get many diseases and saying you are fat when you are is not fat shaming. Just like saying that a criminal is a criminal is not racism when that person is black. Just like saying to a woman that if she wants the same pay as the men to get through the same steps, do the same job, start at the same time, end at the same time, have the same break time, have the same vacation time and retire at the same age is not sexism. Just like saying you want to find out if the allegations are real before believing a crime was done is not not believing victims.

PC culture is ruining society (that made me think of your thread about Pepsi - why should they take the sugar out of it - YOU do not want to drink sugar YOU drink something with no sugar you DO NOT ask for the companies that made sugary drinks to take out the sugar). Liberals and democrats are now worst than the republicans, I have no idea how they did it but years ago they were able to lower the bar republicans set and since then every single day they lower that bar even lower.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Your post was full of wild generalizations and no facts. I would like you to post a link to someone being upset because someone smiled at them. Post a link to someone getting up upset because someone said hi to them. Making up fake examples gets you zero credit.

You don't have to "take it" because you're made fun of for being thin. I have several friends who are thin and who get made fun of - and NONE of them take it. Why would you even say such a thing? It makes zero sense. Harassment is NEVER right.

Every body is different and there is no one set guideline for what percentage of fat is healthy on a given person. It is absolutely an individual body-by-body assessment. So your statement there is completely wrong as well. Being too thin is just as dangerous as being too fat. There is a healthy range for every body and it is different for every body.

It is a proven fact that women who do the exact same job as men, start at the same time, end at the same time, take the same break time, and have the same vacation time make FAR LESS than men in the exact same position. I worked in the tech industry for many years and this is absolutely true. Have you not read the studies? I can link you to hundreds of them. Have you never worked in a job and found this to be true? This is about as well documented as anything could possibly be.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Women in the EXACT SAME ROLE make less money:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jwebb/2016/0...b/#211acc4416ee

"That women receive lower wages than men is a known fact of most economies. However, Procurement Leaders recent research shows that female buyers are paid less than male buyers. That is, women are earning less for the same work.

The research is based on the responses of over 2,000 procurement professionals in different countries and industries. The study looks at the salaries of these individuals as well as unpacking the different pay available to men and women.

The data in this research shows clear evidence that women earn lower wages than their male counterparts even when in the same role."

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Young women generally haven't started families yet - they are "even" with men in terms of time available - and even so those young women only earn 93% of what men make. And keep in mind that 38% of women have college degrees in that range vs only 31% of men. So the women are better educated than the men but the managers are hiring men and offering them more money to sign up. Why? Because in many cases the men are biased. Study after study shows that.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/12/11/on-pay-gap-millennial-women-near-parity-for-now/

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
One simple example. Musicians used to audition live for getting a job. Hardly any women were hired. The hiring men claimed "the women weren't good enough." The orchestras were only 5% female.

The system changed to a blind audition system where a tape was sent in WITHOUT the hiring man knowing whether it was a male or female musician. They could only judge based on the talent of the musician.

POOF in just a few years suddenly 55% more females were hired. Did the musicians change?

No.

Now the bias of the hiring men was exposed. They didn't want WOMEN in their orchestras.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w5903

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.