Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

How well do you know the constellations of the zodiac? They are the oldest of the constellations. Here's a little quiz for you to test your knowledge. It's complete with answers and some additional facts about the zodiac constellations.

Zodiac Constellations - Quiz

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You can find out more about Gemini - the Celestial Twins here.

Castor and Pollux are a pair of stars that are close together and of a similar brightness, but they're really quite different. Pollux - an orange gaint - looks a teensy bit brighter than Castor. Castor isn't a single star, but a star system of six stars. You can see Castor A and B through a small telescope. They are bright white stars orbiting fairly close together. It's also possible to see the fainter and more distant Castor C. Castor A and B each have an unseen companion that can only be detected with special equipment. Castor C is actually a pair of red dwarf stars.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Virgo the Maiden has been an agricultural goddess for thousands of years. She's represented usually with a wheat sheaf in one hand and a palm frond in the other. She has been linked with Demeter whose daughter Persephone was taken as the wife to Hades, god of the underworld. However that's only one of many stories.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Click to find out more about Leo the Lion.

Most constellations don't really resemble what they represent, but I can imagine Leo as a crouching lion. Here is a diagram of Leo and the head and mane form an asterism called the Sickle. I always see it as a backwards question mark with Regulus as the dot.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/20/16 01:53 PM.
K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
Fun quiz! I'm trying to write an essay about the relationship of astronomy and astrology, and you gave me some good ideas. I always enjoy reading your articles!

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Korie, I'm now back from ten days of very limited internet, so I've just seen your comment. ABC of Astronomy - A Is for Astronomy might be of interest.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 06/18/16 04:59 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Orion isn't part of the zodiac, though his nemesis Scorpius is. But Orion the Hunter is a popular constellation. The asterism of Orion's belt - three evenly-spaced bright stars - makes it easy to pick out in the sky. It also has a number of other bright stars, so even in urban areas you can often find it.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The constellation of Taurus the Bull has a number of interesting features. There are two that I find particularly impressive. The Crab Nebula is the remains of a massive star that ended its life in a colossal explosion known as a supernova. The other is a beautiful star cluster, the Pleiades.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In this picture they've joined up the stars of Sagittarius that form the "teapot" asterism. The photo was taken by the Japanese astrophotographer Akira Fujii and shows a full view of the constellation of Sagittarius.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Cancer the crab scuttles across the late winter sky, well away from its nemesis Hercules. Cancer (Latin for crab) is a zodiac constellation, the Tropic of Cancer is named for it, and it has existed for over three thousand years. Yet it seems to be a dim and unremarkable constellation. How does it rate so much attention?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.