Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Yesterday morning as the Sun was rising, Venus disappeared behind the crescent Moon. This is called an occultation. Mohamad Soltanolkotabi caught Venus just before it was hidden in a superb picture taken from Tenerife, Spain.

He said,
Quote:
Among hundreds of morning and evening crescents I have seen during recent 15 years ago it was the first time I saw a planetary occultation at the same time. The Moon appeared in the western horizon in Tenerife island while Venus was only 0.1° far away from the crescent. It was a fantastic memorable experience in my whole life!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You wouldn't see a sky like this just any old place. First of all, you'd need a dark sky site, and those are gradually disappearing. Randy Halverson of Dakotalapse took this photo in Badlands National Park in South Dakota. Not only is he noted as a superb photographer, but he shares his expertise by running the occasional workshop.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I love that photo. Also today, I purchased some postage stamps - the planets. Have you seen them?

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I love that picture too, it must be amazing to be able to see this in person!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Angie, I haven't seen the new stamps, though I knew they were coming out and have seen pictures of them.

For others who haven't seen them, here are Views of The Planets.
Quote:
With this pane of 16 Forever stamps, the Postal Service showcases some of the more visually compelling historic, full-disk images of the planets obtained during the last half-century of space exploration. Some show the planets’ “true color”. Others use colors to represent and visualize certain features of a planet based on imaging data. Still others use the near-infrared spectrum to show things that cannot be seen by the human eye.

(Credits: USPS/Antonio Alcalá © 2016 USPS)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Nancy, I agree. So beautiful. My skies are beset with light pollution and/or clouds. I have seen the Milky Way from the fjords of Norway, but even there where the sky is dark (except for northern lights - hurray!) I'm on a ship that has its own light pollution.

N
N
Mona,

I am lucky for that because here there is no air pollution and almost no lights at night (it makes it scary to walk at night so i rarely do). The water stinks a lot, is not a beautiful color and there's a lot of things laying around the beach frown.

Wow, seeing the Milky Way in Norway! You are lucky smile!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Looking at this picture taken in Brentford in West London, you might think it was taken at the start of sunrise or the end of sunset to account for such luminescence. But in fact it was taken just after 2.00 a.m. when the sky was still fairly dark. The sky over the Thames is being lit up by noctilucent (night-shining) clouds.

Noctilucent clouds are the Earth's highest clouds, a layer of ice crystals forming near the edge of space. We can't usually see them, but sometimes in the summer the unseen Sun may be at an angle that means when it shines on this layer, the reflection is visible somewhere between 50° to 70° north (or south) of the equator.

N
N
Beautiful sight and picture!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There was an annular solar eclipse on September 1st. In an annular eclipse the full Moon doesn't quite cover the Sun, so it leaves a fiery ring. This eclipse was seen over a small part of southern Africa, but most was over water. Astrophotographer Luc Perror was on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean. He took a frame every 4 minutes and ends as the Sun sets. (If you click to get the picture, click also on the picture itself to get the full picture.)

Image Credit & Copyright: Luc Perrot (TWAN)

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.