Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#899260 09/09/15 12:13 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
AWB (Astronomers without Borders) features artists who have produced work on an astronomical theme. This week their artist is not a visual artist, but rather a musician. So I thought that a new thread would be good to highlight this.

Joanne Lazzaro has made an album called Under the Stars and here is the track Evening Star Song. Joanne writes,
Quote:
This is the first song I created, on my very first Native American flute. On camping trips, I would take out this flute in the early evening, just before sunset, and play for the setting sun. According to the Karok of northern California, an evening star song is sung to recall a lover or loved one who has gone away.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 09/30/15 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
just bookmarked her fluting! Will purchase for bedtime sleep aiding! She plays beautifully and serenely... but I'm a sap for anything that anybody plays in an orchestra! lol

My parents paid for me to go to see Swan Lake in the Leeds Theatre (way back!) I was 13 and it was when I started to appreciate music - especially orchestrated woodwinds, timpani and percussion! Always loved the TRIANGLE at school....got to ding it ONCE! I had the same vibe for being Angel Gabriel in the school Christmas play...but my cousin Enid who was older than me and had blonder hair...always got the job! Oh well...we still friends. lol

Funny how one song can bring back so many memories. X thanks

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Austrian Apparel is a duo from Vienna who play electronic music. Here is their tribute to ESA's Rosetta mission.

Here is the Rosetta image of 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko taken nearly a year ago on September 24, 2014. Strange to think of this tiny world whizzing around the Sun, sometimes closer to the Sun than Mars, sometimes as far out as Jupiter.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A song made out of a comet. (Published on 20 Nov 2014) The background music is the recorded audio picked up by Rosetta from comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Andrew Huang added his version of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" to it. It's a cosmic tribute.

You can find out more here about Rosetta the Comet Chaser.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
It's not often that a protest song is protesting an astronomical classification, but Jonathan Coulton's I'm Your Moon is a love song from Charon to Pluto.

Strictly speaking, "I'm your moon, you're my moon" doesn't make sense because moons don't orbit each other. However many astronomers have argued that Pluto and Charon should be considered a double dwarf planet. (Since this is a light-hearted musical thread, I'll spare you the explanation of why - it's about barycenters and such.)

Anyhow it's a cute song.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oh I love the music! And Allyson, love your story - I've never imagined Archangel Gabriel with blond hair - I think you would have been perfect wink

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a video of Joanne Lazzaro during a live recording session on Mt Wilson last year. This was under the dome of the 100-inch telescope.

She says,
Quote:
The tune "Condor" is completely improvised, and uses only the natural acoustics of the 100-in telescope dome. The track title refers to Native American astronomy lore that describes the planet Mars as the eye of the Condor. I'm playing a traditional red cedar five-holed Native American flute made by Michael Graham Allen (Coyote Oldman).

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona!
This music were just the break I needed today. I've been rushing from task to task, not one thing finished, many things started. Whew! I needed the ear candy and a chance to slow down.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Estrack is the European Space Tracking network – it's the ESA equivalent of NASA's Deep Space Network (DSN). These networks and a number of others maintain communications with space probes.

Estrack now has an official musical theme. Gautier Archer's “11,2 km/s” was the winner of the 2015 Tracking Station Music Contest which celebrated Estrack's 40th birthday. Gautier wrote: "This track is a triptych that shows space is vast, but is full of interesting things, such as humankind, stars, comets, planets... It describes great achievements, in the past, and in the future."

More about the competition and a video of the winning music here .

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
On November 26, 1988 the Soyuz TM-7 took two Soviet cosmonauts and a French researcher to the space station Mir. The cosmonauts took the cassette of Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder album, which became the first rock album to be played in space.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.