I would like your opinion with this pretty troubling dream. So in my waking life I'm going through a really rough time with my partner and we've gone days without talking (just for context).

So in the dream, which happens to take place on the block where I grew up, at some point it even seemed like my childhood home. But what was happening was my partner was being tortured by these two men every day like clock work. They would come over and very happily torture him with electric things, making him run, pouring water on him, etc. it was so regular that everyone in the house new when they were coming and would try to play loud music and carry on other activities to ignore the sounds and the screaming. At one point on of his brothers, who was playing basketball
While the torture was going on said, "why are you so worried it's funny?"

My partner also seemed to come to terms with this agony. He just knew it was coming and that was that. I was in agony as well because there was nothing I could do to stop this pain and he was becoming a shell of a person. Losing all emotion, joy or happiness.

So in out waking situation I feel a lot of sadness at the moment -- any idea why my subconscious would flip the scenario in this way?