Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#877239 09/12/14 02:06 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Canadian astrophotographer Rick Ellis used photoshop filters and effects on images of a solar flare from the Solar Dynamics Observatory. From this he created a Coronal Mass Ejection: the Sun as work of art .

But even without special effects, astronomical photos can also be works of art. (Better than many works that I've seen in art galleries.)

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:21 PM. Reason: update link
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Mona - Astronomy #877394 09/13/14 03:17 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Imaging the Sun can produce some fascinating effects even without Photoshop effects. However using such effects has turned an extreme UV image from the Solar Dynamics Observatory into the "Zen Sun".

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:23 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Art is used extensively to illustrate heavenly bodies which we can't photograph clearly. For example, exoplanets are often shown by an artist's impression. Very few of the planets circling stars other than our own have been directly imaged. The images contain data of interest to astronomers, but don't look like much.

Here is an artist's depiction of a planet at least four times the mass of Jupiter. The artist uses the data that's available and experience of other heavenly bodies to make the picture. We don't know how it would really look.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:25 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Heaven's Carousel artwork by artist Tim Otto Roth, inspired by the Hubble Space Telescope. It's a rotating carousel, with 36 illuminated spherical loudspeakers mounted on long strings. It illustrates some of Hubble’s key findings and the physical processes that underpin its work. It looks fascinating, and I'd have liked to see it.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:32 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a famous painting by 19th century American artist Frederic Church, The Meteor of 1860. It shows a meteor fragment as it flew through the Earth's atmosphere - this is called a meteor procession. Walt Whitman also wrote a poem referring to it, Year of Meteors (1859-60) .

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:38 PM. Reason: update links
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You probably almost recognize this night sky painting, but see that it isn't quite right. It's a depiction of a Christmas Day gamma-ray burst, modelled on Van Gogh's famous “Starry Night”.

On Christmas Day 2010, NASA's Swift observatory detected a gamma-ray burst (GRB). We can't see gamma rays, so need special detectors. They are most powerful radiation that we know of and when they are given off, we know that a really massive explosion has happened somewhere.

Astronomers are still not too sure what caused this GRB. There were two main theories at the time – and since then a third has been proposed. I'll settle for being glad that whatever happened it was a long way, as a nearby GRB would definitely be Very Bad News for us.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:42 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

An abstract painting or Impressionist seascape? Nope. This image was generated from ESA's Planck satellite. It was looking at the Galactic magnetic field. We often see that, apart from the scientific value of data, there can also be beauty.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Izabela Oldak, a talented Polish artist, was the AstroArtist of the Month of the AWB (Astronomers without Borders) in February. Among other things she has a superb series of paintings of aurorae. They are not only visually stunning, but I think really capture the beauty and spirit of an auroral display. Here is a picture of her painting entitled "True Mystery".

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:44 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sirius is the brightest star in the sky. It also tends to be low in the sky. This means that its light comes to us through more of our atmosphere than the ones overhead, making Sirius a very twinkly star. Since its the light is refracted by our atmosphere, you can see it changing color. (Sirius often gets reported as a UFO!)

Amateur astronomer Bob King decided to play with different exposures and effects. For Sirius he tapped the telescope tube as he made the exposure. That turned the picture into a tangled swirly thread of changing color.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:46 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
There are no special effects in this image. But it reminded me so much of an abstract painting I've put it in the art thread. It's actually a photo that NASA astronaut Scott Kelly took from the ISS while it was passing over Australia.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/31/18 03:48 PM. Reason: update link
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Danielle Furselaar is a Dutch artist whose work includes space art. She has done pictures from her own imagination, but also those based on scientific understanding. Here she's produced a wonderful poster for ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy. It incorporates radio telescopes and some of the deep sky objects they study.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I love that. Breathtaking.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
HiRISE is a camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. It works in visible wavelengths, but at very high resolution.

Here is a picture of an interesting art work with an astronomical theme that combines a HiRISE image with a sculpture based on a mathematical shape. I wish I could see the real thing - I wonder what material the artist used.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
That's very interesting artwork. I've never tried sculpting anything before. That might be fun.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's a delightful and unusual use of astronomical bodies in a picture. Heidi Colorless calls it Hungry? i wish i could give u the universe for breakfast.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Fun Is Wherever You Can Find It is an original painting by Apollo astronaut Alan Bean. It was painted in textured acrylic with moondust on aircraft plywood.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Vincent Van Gogh was an amateur astronomer, and when his paintings include a night sky, they are accurate. Here is his beautiful Starry night over the Rhône. He painted it in 1888 and it's now in the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

Th painting shows the best known star grouping in the sky, the asterism called the Big Dipper – or the Plough in Britain. It's part of the constellation Ursa Major. In France it's called La Casserole (the saucepan).

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
A dramatic scene from space artist Michael C. Turner.

The constellation Draco (the dragon) has many stars which are multiple. For example Nu Draconis is actually at least three stars - two white ones orbiting each other, that are somewhat bigger and hotter than the Sun, and one of them has a smaller companion. (The other one may also have a small companion, but that's not confirmed.)

From Turner's imagination and stellar knowledge comes Draconian Visions. If the small companion star had an exoplanet, this might be the view. Turner writes,
Quote:
Jets of volcanic plumes consisting of gas, steam, and pyroclastic debris erupt from ancient calderas as a result of massive subterranean vulcanism created, in part, by the complex gravitational influx fields within this multiple stellar system.

You can find out more about Draco the Dragon here.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Van Gogh? No, and some of you have probably realized that this is another image from the Planck satellite. In the center of the image, glowing orange, is the Large Magellanic Cloud. It's something you can see in the southern hemisphere sky, and it's a satellite galaxy of our Milky Way.

The colors show distribution of dust, yellow being fairly dense dusty and blue showing very little dust. The dusty orange at the top of the picture are where the Chamelon is. That's a star-forming region about 300 light years from Earth.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is a painting by Bettina Forget in honor of Johannes Kepler's Somnium. This is Kepler (Somnium Series), 2013, digital print, acrylic, ink on paper -

She writes in an Astronomers Without Borders blog:
Quote:
The first ever science fiction book is titled Somnium (The Dream) and was written 400 years ago by the German astronomer Johannes Kepler. It describes a fantastic voyage to the Moon, its inhabitants, its landscape, and the solar system’s celestial motion. . . . The Somnium has never been illustrated, so I decided to develop a series of artworks inspired by this text, to increase awareness about this under-appreciated but significant book.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here is another work by Bettina Forget who is Astronomers Without Borders' AstroArtist of the Month. It's Treasure Hunt #2, 2007, acrylic on canvas, 48" x 48"

I love the colors in this painting.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
French astronomer-artist Lucien Rudaux was the grandfather of modern space art. In the 1920s and 30s, he produced spacescapes of such accuracy that many hold up well even today.

Here is a drawing of the surface of the Moon. Other artists showed towering, jagged peaks, but Rudaux depicted a rolling terrain and rounded mountains like the landscapes photographed by Apollo astronauts. Rudaux pointed out one fact that he thought was patently obvious: one could look through a telescope and see with one's own eyes the rounded profiles of the lunar mountains "standing out from the edge of the disk".

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Whoa Mona, that is a beautiful picture!!

I love space art smile

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
WOW!!!!!
This is amazing.
Now, you will think this is crazy, but I finished watching the Pixar movie "Home" this morning and there is a scene where the main character is looking out over outer space and notices how beautiful things are and truly begins to understand the meaning of Art to humans.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Maybe the most astounding artistic astronomy image ever! Have a look at the observable Universe in a single image by artist Pablo Carlos Budassi.

The Solar System is in the center. Cosmologists think there is no center to the Universe, but all observers are in the center of their observable universe. Around the outside is the plasma of the Big Bang. Budassi used logarithmic maps of the known Universe and NASA images to create this marvelous artwork.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Vincent van Gogh's painting “Starry Night” shows bold whorls of light sweeping across the night sky. A Hubble Space Telescope image of 2004 shows similar whorls, but these are spirals of dust thousands of 20,000 light years away around a star named V838 Monocerotis. (It's in the constellation Monoceros the Unicorn.)

The star is a red giant and following an explosive outburst, it illuminated the dust around it in what's called a light echo. The dust was probably ejected from the star in a previous explosion thousands of years ago. The dust was invisible until it was lit up by the more recent explosion.

You can see a comparison between the swirls in the painting and those in the Hubble image, as well as find out more about V838 Mon.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona, I love van Gogh's work. I have even tried to emulate it via digital format. But never have I attempted "Starry Night". This Hubble image is amazing. I mean, it captures his swirls and softness.

Chel

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Corina Chirila was inspired by Hubble images to create this painting.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The story of Tim Peake, ESA's first British astronaut, inspired a book by Michelle Robinson and Nick East Goodnight Spacement. Here Nick East provides instructions for How to Draw an Astronaut.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/11/16 09:14 PM.
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Shared with my daughter to read with her 6 year old son.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 05/11/16 09:15 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Lucy West is an artist who loves space. Her father worked for a company that built parts for the Gemini and Apollo missions, so space was on the family agenda. This gorgeous painting is called "Celestial Northwest". Some of her works are on the walls of NASA's Launch Control Center. I'd love to have one on my wall!

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 07/19/16 12:05 PM.
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Mona, the link does not work.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Nancy, thank you for telling me about the link. It loads for me, but I think I've had problems before with the site. I've looked for the picture on a different website and hope that Celestial Northwest shows up now.

N
N
It is now working and it is beautiful smile!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Mural painted by Nikolina Nedialkova as her diploma for graduating the Arts academy in Sofia, Bulgaria: A Signal into Space. A talented young woman.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
That's cool.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I have to admit this right off: this isn't a painting. It's a natural-color Sentinel-2A satellite image of a plankton bloom in the Barents Sea. (It's off the northern coast of Russian and Norway.)

Plankton are microscopic marine plants that are the basis of most food chains in the oceans. They're essential to marine life, but some species in large numbers and in good conditions can multiply so much that they exhaust the oxygen in the water and suffocate the larger fish.

N
N
Wow, what a cool picture!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Irish artist Aoife van Linden Tol has been named artist-in-residence of a project being undertaken by Ars Electronica and the European Space Agency (ESA), the first person ever to take on this key role.

You can read more about the project here. Slightly worrying, the artist's fascination with explosives. Whatever happened to paint, I wonder.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) has created a delightful series of retro-style travel posters to destinations in the Solar System and beyond. Here is Ceres Queen of the Asteroid Belt.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Lots of excitement about finding a gas giant planet orbiting two red dwarf stars. This picture is an artist's impressing of the system OGLE-2007-BLG-349 about 8000 light years away. It's based on gravitational lensing data collected using the Hubble Space Telescope.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and G. Bacon (STScI)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
If someone suggested that I dash off to an art museum to see this fabulous abstract by a modern master, I'd have no trouble believing it. Just tell me which one!

However it's an image taken by NASA's Juno probe of Jupiter as it soars low over the cloud tops. Juno loops around Jupiter in a flight pattern that brings it close to the planet every 53 days. The orbit protects the probe from the extreme radiation belt that wraps around the gas giant.

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Roman Tkachenko

N
N
Wow!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Something a bit different about this version of Van Gogh's "Starry Night". JunoCam user Amelia Carolina Sparavigna replaced Van Gogh's swirly sky with patterns from a Juno image of Jupiter's cloud tops.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What on Earth is this?

Nothing on Earth. It's Mars. Still doesn't make sense? Robert Nemiroff (MTU) & Jerry Bonnell (UMCP) explain:
Deep shadows create dramatic contrasts between light and dark in this high-resolution close-up of the martian surface. Recorded on January 24, 2014 by the HiRISE camera onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, the scene spans about 1.5 kilometers. From 250 kilometers above the Red Planet the camera is looking down at a sand dune field in a southern highlands crater. Captured when the Sun was about 5 degrees above the local horizon, only the dune crests were caught in full sunlight. A long, cold winter is coming to the southern hemisphere and bright ridges of seasonal frost line the martian dunes.

Image Credit: HiRISE, MRO, LPL (U. Arizona), NASA

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This exquisite picture is the Lagoon Nebula. It's the Hubble Space Telescope's 28th Birthday Picture. It's only a portion of the nebula about four light-years across. The whole thing is 55 light years across and located some 4000 light years away in the constellation Sagittarius.

Copyright NASA, ESA, STScI, CC BY 4.0

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Mona, that is a WOWser just like the south west national parks with all their beautiful arches and land formations.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Emi Koussi from data collected by ESA's Copernicus Sentinel-2B satellite.

Emi Koussi is an exctinct volcano in northern Chad, located at the southeast end of the Tibesti Mountains. It's nearly 3500 m high, the highest mountain in Chad, and in the whole of the Sahara. The colors represent different wavelengths of light, so differences in the minerals are revealed.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Last Year, on September 15th, the Cassini mission ended by having the spacecraft plunge into Saturn. I like this artistic rendering of Cassini breaking apart after entering the planet's atmosphere.

Credit: NASA/JPL

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Dutch Digital Artist Teun van der Zalm is the talent behind Salmonick Atelier. See his magnificent creations of 3D nebulae.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I could have posted this image in the thread on Earth from Space, but when you see it I think you'll understand why I couldn't resist it as art. It is the Tibesti Mountains, located mostly in Chad, but extending into Libya.

The mountains include both active and some potentially active volcanoes, and the range covers about 100,000 sq km in the central Sahara desert. It's home to the Toubou people today, the region is known for its ancient cave paintings, mostly dating from the fifth to the third millennium BC.

The mountains’ highest peak is Emi Koussi – pictured here as a circular structure in the lower-right portion of the dark area. Standing over 3400 m high, it is the tallest mountain in Chad and in the Sahara.

The westernmost volcano is Toussidé. Our satellite view shows the dark peak with lava flows extending to the left. The white depression to the southeast gets its colour from the accumulation of carbonate salts, creating a soda lake.

There are a number of hot springs and geysers throughout the mountain range. Local people use the hot and warm springs for medical purposes.

Surrounding the Tibesti Mountains, the sands of the Sahara appear like orange, yellow and white brushstrokes.

Copyright: ESA, image taken by Envisat

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Astronomers without Borders (AWB) had an AstroArt competition for Global Astronomy Month.

Here are the 10 of the winners from three age categories.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 07/15/18 06:28 PM. Reason: links not working
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Mona message says that hot-linking is not permitted. Links do not work.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Angie, thanks for letting me know about this. I've searched and found something on Twitter. They're lovely pictures by some talented children and young people.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.