Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Have you tried growing your own vegetables to save money? No matter whether you have a green thumb or no experience there are many ways to grow your own vegetables. Not only will you save money, but you will have control over how your food is grown.

Grow Vegetables to Save Money

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Gardening is an activity that I have had a lot of experience with doing. I grew up with a garden since my mom raised a good portion of our vegetables and some fruits. The main purpose of the garden was to raise food while saving on the grocery bill. She canned, preserved, and froze lots of our food to eat through the winter. Potatoes were, and still are, one of our staple foods that we grow and keep through the entire winter to eat.

Not only did we garden, but for many years my mom and I raised and sold produce at our local farmer's market. So I have been on both sides of the table - small farmer/gardener and purchaser.

Even a small space in which to garden can yield a lot of veggies and a lot of savings.

Do you garden? Have you frozen or canned your bountiful harvest? Post here with your experiences and thoughts.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My neighbors did this back when I was a kid with the growing, canning, preserving, and everything. They saved a LOT of money. I always admired them for it. My parents sort of tried to grow vegetables, but not seriously. I wish that I could have picked up those skills from the neighbors. It looked very labor-intensives because they were always out there watering and weeding, but it also looked worth it.

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
* Fun BellaOnline forum games here.
* My books on paganism starting at 0.99 cents.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Great article, by the way! You have me convinced now to try it in containers. I already grow herbs for Wiccan purposes, but I'd like to try some easy vegetables now. Though probably not corn with the deep root systems!

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
* Fun BellaOnline forum games here.
* My books on paganism starting at 0.99 cents.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I picked up a nice tomato plant at Walmart with food stamps. Tomatoes seem to be selling for a dollar each in the produce section, for some reason. That's insane.

We also have a bunch of savory herbs, berries, squash and a zuchinni. And some marigolds to protect them all.

I want to pick up an apple and a nut tree next.

These all have to be in containers, since all i have to put things on is a parking lot.

Last edited by Jilly; 06/16/14 12:16 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Ro,

Thank you so much. I am glad you liked the article and want to do more gardening. I think gardening is one of those things you learn by trial and error. Each year I learn something new.

What herbs do you grow? And how do they relate to the Wiccan practice. I know herbs have healing and cleansing properties, but I am not familiar with how they relate to religious practices.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Jilly,

That's awesome.

I agree with you - a dollar a tomato is way too high a price.

What kind of herbs and berries are you growing? We have blueberries and a few black raspberries (my favorite!). There is just something about fresh food that is irresistible.

An apple and a nut tree sound like good choices. What kind of nut tree are you considering?

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Jilly, how did your garden grow? I planted some parsley in the house so that the plants will be ready for planting in warm weather.

I have an apple tree growing in a pot on my deck. It is a dwarf type suitable for container gardening. Unfortunately, the squirrel knocked the only apple off the tree and then he didn't even eat it.

H
H
Well, this would be great but I live in the city, in a high rise building and in an area where there are barely any soil! It's all concrete like an urban jungle.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
The apple tree suffered from deer damage and didn't make it. I read an article about gardening in the big cities. A building was vacant and so the gardeners converted the building into a garden - sprinklers, raised garden areas, grow lights. I wonder how it is doing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sandra Investing/HFinance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.