Next Thread
Print Thread
#849191 12/30/13 09:13 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Parents and teachers distressed by the effect of ever-increasing state-mandated standardized testing of younger and younger children are at the heart of a grassroots movement to resist what they see as a mindless process that has little to do with education or the mental well-being of children.

What do you think about the growth of standardized testing and the uses to which it is being put?

The Testing Opt-Out Movement

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
J
Hi Maeve,

Thanks for hosting the forum!

I believe that the current mode of high stakes testing is indeed limiting in how students show skill mastery and proficiency. Typically, many standardized tests cater to linguistic/logistical learning in the form of multiple choice and constructed response. The other types of learners (using Gardner for example - naturalistic, kinesthetic, etc.) may not test as well, not to mention the potential cultural bias that is embedded in the creation of such tests. But, until we can address the core issues of school accountability, the "opt-out" option is still considered a "ding" to schools and will often count against them in performance frameworks.

Last edited by Justin - Horror Lit Host; 03/16/14 07:10 PM.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Maeve, I think that parents must lead the way, in the same manner that changes were made to the education of children with special needs. That was a parent driven movement.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
School districts also need to find a way to break their entanglement with federal dollars. Tell the government that we will no longer subject our children to days of testing every year.

When I was in school, we had testing at the end of the year. There were several days of it. We could compare our tests to the previous year and see how we had grown. Children actually did this, because the tests meant something to us.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone,

If you haven't already come across this then follow this link and see what you think? He has other presentations too.

Sir Ken Robinson

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Parakeet
Parakeet
If you want to change the testing situation in American vote against politicians at the local, state and national level that advocate standardize testing in education.

I have worked for years, scoring thousands of student test responses for several different states. Based on my experience, having read and scored all these tests, the test scores are almost meaningless. There accuracy of measuring student knowledge and education instruction based on these test scores is extremely limited.

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.