Hello one and all,

Yep, it's EARTH DAY - and I am sorry didn't write about it before! Anyway to start off here is an excellent quote I came across - maybe you will like it too? At least it will make you think.

"Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained.

Saving the environment is really about saving our environment - making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it.

If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so."

-Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b. 1945)

The thing is, when we do not see an immediate threat - we think it only happens to other people or to other animals or in other countries etc. And we mostly continue to do not much or nothing.

What is your green inspiration for this year?

Plant a tree or a shrub or a flower or a herb? Start a home recycling system? Get a container or two to look after you? Every green act of kindness helps, not matter how small.

The Green Generation - is that us now? One of the central themes of this is our individual commitment to consuming whatever it is in a responsible and sustainable way. Do you do this? Are you personally mindful of your footprint? Is there something you can do to improve?

Did you do anything particularly green today?

I am trying to be greenly mindful in my gardening world and make every day Earth Day, and am pleased to report that I am winning.

Anyway, for today especially, I planted a 3-yr old lemon tree in a beautiful big ceramic container - an ali-baba shape. I mulched with bark chips and surrounded the pot with some instant yellow pansies. It really does look nice and has pride of place on the front reception area.

I will remember 'Sunny' was a 2014-Earth-day somebody as I watch her grow and provide lemons for me and us.

In a subdued mood, cheers now

Last edited by Lestie4containergardens; 04/22/14 09:47 AM.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!