Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thursday before Ash Wednesday and it's Weiberfastnacht in the Rhineland, with its roots in an early 'feminist revolution'.

'Wieber', women, take over City Halls, cause chaos, and no necktie is safe from a Schnipp-Schnapp with their jumbo scissors.

Carnival in Cologne and 'Women's Thursday'

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hi there,

Looks like it is not completely safe to be part of the 'Schnipp-Schnapp brigade in all instances ... you say

"Nevertheless if the victim was not amused when his necktie was cut to a stump, a law allows him charge his scissor bearing attackers, in court in front of judges, and claim damages."

From your experience and or chatter, has anyone ever followed through on this and been compensated? Is the Judge lenient with the fine in the circumstances? It is unbelievable that in the fun of the moment anyone would actually not take it in good faith and fun.

Still, if it happened to be my favourite silk tie, and if I were silly enough to venture out into the street wearing it, AND if I was not aware of the consequences, I would be put out for sure. But then I don't wear a tie tra la, so it's good to know I can go schnippschnapping.

See though, I hope there are enough men beings around to make this a good carnival, for without them how would we celebrate?

Maybe that's a good business idea? The day or week before, special carnival ties of multicolours and poor design could be on sale for the brave.

Sounds like fun for sure.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes there have been court cases Lestie, although to be fair it is such a well known custom it is more than a little daring to actually wear a tie one likes, let alone loves, on that day. Nevertheless the poor guys are compensated.

The fact is of course that not all Germans are Carnival lovers, many run for the hills for the duration. Have been to quite a few and am no great fan of the Rhineland Carnival with its political overtones etc., whereas Fastnacht etc. can be really quite an experience to watch.

In many ways I think it is something one has to have been brought up with to really appreciate. The little local ones are such fun though, the day after the main parades, a great atmosphere of pure enjoyment.

Yes for 'tie cutting off' there are special ties sold for the occasion, really gloriously ugly ones that look super nailed to boards as trophies.

And I hate to say it but a great many of the guys at some Carnivals are so 'out of it', that probably your idea of celebrating and theirs would be two very different things...........unless of course you can still stand after consuming a barrel of beer laugh

Having been to carnivals in Venice, Malta, Southern Holland and Vienna was amazed at how different the German ones were.........am used to it by now of course. Ah culture shock, where would we be without it. cool

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello there Francine - I was just thinking about how here in S A we don't really have a carnival spirit, though I am sure there are those who would disagree with me.

I guess I am thinking of the magnificence of the likes of the Rio carnival? Yes, here we have what used to be called the 'Coon Carnival' which takes place in Cape Town on 2 January yearly and then of course there are the different university Rag events which I suppose may fall under this all as a sub-heading. There are also (off and on) celebrations of Gay and Lesbian association, or probably party marches after main sporting events, but no, not in quite the same vein.

I wonder - is it a national characteristic with historical roots? Or could it be that here in SA (me only maybe?) that just doesn't think these events are fun at home?

What do others think?

I do say however, I would love to attend something in Malta or Germany or South America etc.

Anyway, I say cheers and will put on my armour forthwith.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.