A poem as lovely as a tree
As for bird obsessed me
The same can be naturally said for the male "Vermie"

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Can't remember the last time I saw a Vermie, male or not (I think a sparrow, 'Spatz in German) and they used to be the most 'common' bird around, miss them.

Where have they all gone...........Hmmm could ask Monsanto for a start, but they are not the only culprits.

However trees............now edward1, the natural beauty, the history so many have seen and we will never know, the fact that without them we just could not be here.

Do I 'hug' them, no really not, but enjoy, appreciate them and am always cast down when they are destroyed to make way for heaven knows what? Yes have to raise my hand to that one.

PS: do love birds too............!

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

LesS13 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Ahhh yes indeed Francine!

"When you have seen one ant, one bird, one tree, you have not seen them all."-E.O. Wilson

"To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded so that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees, as they watch for birds."-Gore Vidal

“You must not know too much or be too precise or scientific about birds and trees and flowers and watercraft; a certain free-margin, and even vagueness - ignorance, credulity - helps your enjoyment of these things.”-Henry David Thoreau

LesS13 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Befitting the advent of the holiday season in Mexico, my best "good look" this week was a little before sunset at Oriole Tree lit up by the setting sun like Xmas ornaments at the upper level of the tree were more than three dozen "colorful" birds including Western Kingbird, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, Streak-Backed Oriole, Magnificent Hummingbird, Yellow-Rumped Warbler, male Blue Grosbeak, male Vermie, and the star of the show right at the very top and center was a gorgeous Black-Vented Oriole whose black and gold colors literally shone.

A few minutes prior, before the ornamental birds began to arrive, was a solitary loquacious Social Flycatcher mid-level on the tree.

LesS13 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Do you think that birdwatching and birding are the same?

If not, without accessing any value judgements (I must be addressing myself when adding that clause LOL), what are some of the similarities and differences between them?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

It might seem a simplistic answer Les but isn't a 'birder' someone who will travel miles to look for, see, or just hear birds? Usually accompanied by 'equipment' etc., and even almost professionally interested in keeping count and comparing totals.

While a 'bird watcher' looks at, enjoys and appreciates birds if they are around, in the garden or wherever, or travels short distances, which in Germany could be to a nearby nature reserve or protected area, to see species they wouldn't otherwise come across. Has basic equipment perhaps, but wouldn't invest a fortune in super binoculars.

They also wouldn't spent weeks, and perhaps vast amounts of money, to travel hundreds of miles by boat, train or plane, in a deliberate attempt to see either one special bird or various different species from a specific region or area.

The similarities would be interest in birds obviously, and differences between them would include the informality of one the serious intensity and organization of the other.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

LesS13 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Francine, Vermie who is a tough grader and does not believe in grade inflation would give you an "A" for your reply about birdwatching vs. birding. While there is a large range in terms of an individual's level of interest, knowledge, time and resource investment and participation within both of these avian-centric hobbies, the former can be defined as being more casual/passive while the latter would be said to be more intense/active, at times bordering on the compulsive/obsessive.

An analogy that I think is appropriate is that "it’s the difference between watching a sport and playing a sport."
Or another way of saying this is birdwatching is spectating while birding is a (hopefully non-invasive) form of hunting.

Here are two quotes that I would hope all birdwatchers and birders would agree upon:

"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather." -Terri Guillemets

"Damn that wind!"- Vermie as related by LS

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
It seems that some of the Canada Geese have not vacated the southern New England region. I drove by a corn field where only the low cut stalks remained, and low and behold I saw many geese there feeding and milling about. There must have been a few hundred there. I wonder when they will decide to head south. We have snow coming in for the morning.....

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
LesS13 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Debbie, maybe those Canada Geese will not be heading south???

According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, "some migratory populations of the Canada Goose are not going as far south in the winter as they used to. This northward range shift has been attributed to changes in farm practices that makes waste grain more available in fall and winter, as well as changes in hunting pressure and changes in weather."

Another perspective on this comes from a Birding Forum poster who over three years ago wrote "the reason for the goose population explosion is us. We have built all sorts of habitats that Canada geese love, like expansive lawns, parks, golf courses and such, and then some of us feed them. The result is that flocks that once migrated yearly now hang around all year and breed much more than they used to. Result; goose droppings everywhere, angry geese in your face when you walk in the park, geese crowding wild ducks out of ponds and lakes. They can't be hunted in city limits, and natural predators are rare or non-existant..."

At any rate, “If you feel the urge, don't be afraid to go on a wild goose chase. What do you think wild geese are for anyway?”-Will Rogers

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Les, love your avatar. It reminds me of you...colorful, inquisitive, interesting.

Last edited by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches; 12/14/13 08:09 AM.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.