Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I was posting on the Movie Mistake forum about movies like “The Blair Witch Project” and I thought of the show “The River,” which was about a woman who goes into the Amazon in search of her missing husband. Like the “Blair Witch Project,” she has footage which provides clues to the path he has taken.

I was all into this show, never missing a week and then boom one week it doesn’t record on the DVR and I find out it’s been canceled. Same thing with my “Happy Town” and “Ringer.”

Right now I am not into any shows at all. I watched “Elementary” for awhile, but it didn’t maintain my interest. “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland,” looks appealing, but I hate to get attached only to be disappointed yet again.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Leah -

It is interesting what lasts and what doesn't. Look at all the "Real Housewife" shows that keep going on and on, while shows that involve immense effort on the parts of writers and costumers and actors and such get ignored.

Maybe part of it is salaries. Maybe shows just don't make enough any more to pay those bills, with people skipping commercials. Maybe they can only afford fairly "free" reality people.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
And some shows [FIREFLY] just get screwed by the networks. wink

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly -

I think it's fair to say, though, that if Firefly was pulling in a huge audience the network would have made it work. The question is why people weren't watching it in those numbers ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, respectfully, you should look up the shenanigans that went on with Firefy's airing schedule. It never had a chance. It was shown out of order, was frequently bumped due to airing sports games instead, the pilot was entirely skipped, and two of the later episodes weren't even shown. It also had a terrible slot (Friday night). I do know something about this. ;-)

Last edited by Jilly; 10/10/13 05:18 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

One of my absolute favorite TV shows is Blue Bloods and that's on a Friday night.

I think a stellar show will always thrive.

Firefly never had the numbers - even at its beginning - that other shows have garnered. So again the question is why? Why do people watch some shows and shy away from others? Does it seem too much of a "mental challenge" to take on a show in a sci-fi universe, for example?

I.e. I think if they put Dancing With the Stars on a Friday night, it wouldn't be cancelled. Even if it got bumped, I think that would just rouse the troops to be even more excited for when it came back.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about station shenanigans. Everything else I said is valid. smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Thank you for your thoughts Jilly and Lisa.

I find it hard to tolerate Reality TV with few exceptions. Let’s say over the last 20 years I regularly watched about 4 or 5 reality shows—one of them being “The Real World” when it first came out. The other had people living in a colonial village—with stockades and everything. Another was about a hip hop artist from the 80s and her friends looking for love. These were all pleasant little shows.

Then there were two others I watched that involved huge celebrities. Like everyone else I was watching and laughing and shaking my head at how terrible they were behaving. Then a few years later, the stars of both of the shows died. That’s when I swore off watching those kinds of Reality Shows, where the entertainment value is watching people self-destruct. They needed help, not cameras following them around.

Earlier this year I watched a marathon of “Dancing with the Stars” with my mother. I suffered through the first few episodes but after a while I was like—“you call *that* a cha cha?!?” I can see how people get hooked, but still I prefer my shows with actors, scripts and a little quirkiness that probably does not appeal to enough people to keep a show afloat.

Last edited by leahmullen; 10/10/13 07:34 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly -

I agree wholeheartedly that the network did not do its best to create an ideal environment for the show.

I suppose what I was sensitive to was the idea that this meant it "never" could possibly succeed smile.

I know many shows which had hurdles but which still thrived and succeeded due to a powerful, instant connection with a large group of fans.

I think sci-fi shows have a much harder time thriving than other types of shows, so they need a more perfect incubation environment. And Firefly in particular had quirks which meant its fan base was not going to be "most of the world".

I.e. why wasn't Serenity a blockbuster movie, when it already had a developed, loyal fan base? Compare Serenity with movies which come out completely unknown, without any fan base, and were instant blockbusters. Why didn't Serenity fall into that category when it had a head-start over those others?

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames

I.e. why wasn't Serenity a blockbuster movie, when it already had a developed, loyal fan base? Compare Serenity with movies which come out completely unknown, without any fan base, and were instant blockbusters. Why didn't Serenity fall into that category when it had a head-start over those others?

I think Serenity got pigeon-holed into the "cult-movie" status, and many people don't like being associated with "cult" films. Plus, a lot of people assumed that since it was based on a TV show, that they would not have the background to understand the film, so passed it up. (Although the film is perfectly fine as a stand-alone.)

I agree that sci-fi shows have a harder time getting and staying on TV - except on the ScyFy channel. It seems that people overall like their SciFi/Fantasy in small doses, and not on a regular basis. Although that seems to be changing - especially with the paranormal shows and lately with fantasy shows.

I, too wish the majority of "reality" shows would just die (with the exception of So You Think You Can Dance, LOL!). Mainly the ones that center around people's lives. I'm busy living my own, I don't need to take on somebody else's!

"And the greatest of these is Love"
Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Maria - Prime Time TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.