Print Thread
#841229 10/05/13 06:43 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Greetings!
Fortunately, I have had a rapid expansion of my professional business over the last few months. As such, this will be my last article for BellaOnline. Thank you all for taking the time to read my articles. I have greatly appreciated your support.

This week's mental health article is on Malingering.
Most, if not all, of us were raised to never lie. As we grew up, we learned about the variations in lying from the sometimes acceptable 'white lie" to the more severe form of lying—malingering.

Malingering

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Sorry to hear that you are going. Congrats on your expanding business!

In regards to this article, I'm wondering if Malingering--telling a string of lies hoping to gain from them--is a mental health issue in and of itself.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Dr. Hershey smile

Glad to hear your business expanding -- sorry to see you go.

I have been in many, many institutions for over 3/4 of my life and in handcuffs of and on from the ages of 14 to 48.

I have seen many, many instances of what you are talking about.

Goodness, there are many people who try and 'play' the system.

This puts tremendous responsibility upon your shoulders and you are correct in looking into each person having 'every symptom' and their social background to see if indeed they are lying.

In my case, I wish I was a good liar and not sick...

But such was not to be.

I was really, really sick since the age of 16.

Hospitalized then with tardive dyskinesia.

If tardive dyskinesia wasn't scary enough for me and my family, entering into psychosis at 22, 23, 27, 30, and 33.

What I would like to add to your ability to identify and vette out the liars is that as my illness progressed, it had a combination of symptoms from a variety of diagnosis that's what made it valid.

I did not want to be sick, as every human being has the natural instinct to survive and thrive.

Yet, the part of me that told me I was sick was sick and it became firestorm of confusion and pain for me, my parents, my brothers and my doctors and technician.

None of us knew what was going on.

After all these years, (I'll be 52 in a month), it seems that I started with bi-polar manic with a psychotic component then entered into schizophrenia complete with the voices.

There was a dependent disorder along with a narcissistic personality disorder in my early 20's and all of this was in flux.

The desire to sleep, sleep and sleep my psychic pain away is with me to this day.

To the outside world, especially my brothers, it manifested as pure laziness.

But, this could not be so seeing that I was a competitive swimmer in high school and had to rise at 4am and hit the water by 5am then swim from 2pm until 6 or 6:30pm

3-days, 3-weeks, 3-months or 3-years I would last on a job in the outside world without the ability to take care of myself.

I wish it was simple laziness.

I was born in winter and mom could have gotten a virus new research is coming to light.

Without medication, I would be toast -- so I'm grateful for all the research out there...

Gawd, I wish I could have had a career and raised a family of my own without being sick.

Yet, sleep is one of the better cures.

I have to rest now, because the medicine is quite powerful, yet it keeps me stable and that's all I want.

Take Care Doc... hope to hear at least some postings without articles if you can in the future.

-- Burt B. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Ilyssa,

I truly am sorry to see you go. It is great to know your business is expanding. I can certainly understand it. You bring a caring and compassionate nature to difficult issues.

I wish you all the best. I will miss your quotes on Facebook. I don't know if we are friends as individuals on Facebook, but if not I would be happy to add you. Let me know.

Wishing you continued success.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thank you all for your well wishes! I will miss writing and posting but alas, I am realizing I don't have the time to write an article every week. I will, of course, pop my head into the forum now and then.
Sandra, of course add me. Thank you. smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Before moving to the USA in 2011 I worked for several years in the British Civil Service, where part of my job involved interviewing people applying to receive, or continue to receive, sickness and disability benefits.

Of course there were many genuine cases and I met some great people who were coping bravely and cheerfully with disability, and those who were sick but wanted to do everything they could to help themselves get well again.

At the same time, the level of malingering I witnessed was staggering! There were people who had been "signed off" by doctors as unfit for work with depression or anxiety for years. They bounced into the office laughing and joking with friends, but when called for their interview adopted a shuffling gait and woebegone expression. Several times I overheard long-term claimants advise others about the best stories and behaviours to adopt in order to be diagnosed with depression.

Meanwhile my colleagues and I were so stressed out by our workload that most of us called in sick occasionally to stay home for a "mental health" day of our own.

On a brighter note - congratulations on your expanded business Dr Hershey. I've enjoyed your articles and am sorry to see you go. Very best wishes in your future work.

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.