Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks to Connie for suggesting the topic of international educational comparisons.

This week I've described one of the international surveys that offers one of the more accurate scales of comparison as it provides context in terms of economic and social considerations as well as subject matter scores.

I'll be writing about other surveys, such as the one conducted by the U.S. National Center for Education Statistics.

International Educational Achievement Comparisons

Last edited by Maeve Maddox-School Ref; 07/29/13 07:27 AM.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Hi Maeve! One of the things that bothers me about comparing our tests to other countries' tests is the fact that we try to educate everybody. Some other countries might do that. However, other countries require an entrance exam to get into high school.

My husband worked with a teacher from an African country. In her country, a child had to qualify for high school. If they did not qualify, their education stopped and they went to work.

Thanks for telling us about the PISA!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Koala
Koala
Dear Maeve,

I am from Quebec Canada.15 years old is definitly the critical age.Join a gang (population 9,000) stay in school and disturb
everyone,and then those that want to learn for real,are stuck.

Does your survey give lists of various arias and countries.
I am sure a young African of 15 ,is more motivated than most
other children of 15.

For Him/Her ,Education represents a chance for a future.
Your article mention ,a test to be able to go to high school.
Imagine that in North America and the pseudo civilised countries
the negative effect ,that would,do.

20 years ago,20 years,in my small village, I took care of the first skate board park in our village/town.Do you know how young was my youngest dope taker. 9 years old.That was 20 years ago.

Do you and your organisation see a way of keeping the 15 years old in school?

Thank you for such an article,very complex when you ponder on it.

With respect
loong

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Connie,
You're right on target there. Comparing U.S. education to that in other countries is comparing apples to oranges. I have several more posts planned that will look at some of the specific differences.

If I could be the Chief U.S. Education Reformer, I'd pour most of the reform efforts and resources into public education K-8. I'd try to insure that most of the children completed Grade 8 with a mastery of spoken and written English and the four functions of basic computation. In addition, they would have a working knowledge of American history and civics, and a general familiarity with literature in English and the most important movements, books, and people that have shaped the world.

Then, any student who was capable of mastering the material but failed to do so owing to absence or refusal to learn would not proceed to ninth grade. They could repeat the material until they could enter high school or follow some other course of study or occupational training until school leaving age.

Students who, because of development problems are unable to master the material would be moved into special classes to meet their specific needs.

Maeve

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Oh Maeve, we are on the same page. I also think that until we have dealt with some of the problems in society, we will not have effective education for the children who are raised in poverty.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Loong,
Your experience with the nine-year-old drug user is sad and frightening.

Yes, 15 years is a critical age. In other countries and at different historical periods, in this country as well as in others, it was not unusual for 15 year olds to function in responsible roles. In the U.S. nowadays, most of the people in that age group seem to think of themselves as "kids." High school, instead of being an important period for adult learning has--thanks to the hype about college--become a mere extension of grade school in the minds of too many high school students. defend immature behavior as "just playing" and assert that they can "get serious" when they get to college.

I think that one very effective way to keep 15 year olds in school would be to let children know in elementary school that if they do not master the work presented to them, they will not be permitted to attend high school. As long as misbehavior and refusal to learn have no consequences, high school will have no value in the eyes of many young people.

I suspect that if American youth goes on with this sort of attitude, the more focused youth of other countries will be the ones running the world.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Koala
Koala
Dear Maeve,

Love your last phrase.I suspect that if American youth goes on with this sort of attitude, the more focused youth of other countries will be the ones running the world.

This will not be a popular statement from my part.Within 10 years ,the U.S. will have lost all it's powers over the world and become a third world country.

Just look at Detroit,first sign.California,Texas,New york want to separate from The U.S.of A.

Another sign of bad times to come.

So the ones with diplomas,will eventually ,in a certain way ,rule the world.

With Respect

Loong/normand

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Connie,
You're right. According to the National Center for Children in Poverty, 45% of the children in the U.S. live in low income families that lack basic necessities. Reformers like Bill Gates and Arne Duncan grew up in affluent homes. Their parents read them bedtime stories. They never missed a meal, even when school was out. They went on family vacations in the summer. They had all kinds of out of school experiences that contributed to their educations. They don't get it.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
TOO true!

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.