Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
My recent article "20 Timely tips for Quilters" was well received and so I'm handing the baton to you to include your three most helpful tips you can give to new and more experienced quilters out there in Quiltland.

Help others by giving us your three most helpful hints to make wonderful quilt creations.

Cheerio for now

Judie B

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Q
Q
My 3 helpful tips are:

1) Using one of your rulers draw a line on your ironing board in permanent marker then when pressing boarders, strips etc. I line them up on the line and know I am pressing them straight and no curves in my strip sets.

2) To clean my iron when I don't have iron cleaner I use a drier fabric softener sheet. Press and rub your iron on the fabric softener sheet when it is hot and it will be clean. For stubborn residue I sometimes use a wooden clothespin wrapped in a sheet for pinpointing the stubborn stuff.

3) I always cut the pieces for only one block and put it together from scrap. Then I know if the measurements are correct, if I need to make any adjustments before cutting into my planned quilt fabric and I then have a sample block to pin up near my machine to refer to like a map for proper placement and pressing direction.

Always In Stitches,
Marj

Always in Stitches,
Marj
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hey Marj, fabulous tips I've never heard of the first two. I'm going to start a rolling article and would like to include all the tips we receive on this forum. I won't put your name to it unless you're Ok with that. Are you happy for me to include your three tips?

Cheerio for now

Judie B

Judie Bellingham

L
lmm Offline
L
1. Measure twice or thrice and cut once. I always double check measurements, as there is nothing worse then cutting a 1/4 inch to short. 2. View your colour combinations from a distance, pin to a board, or photograph and look at the photo on the computer, and play with the placement of colours so that you get the desired effect. It is surprising how repositioning one colour can dramatically change the impact of a block. 3. Use left over soap pieces for marking fabric rather than marking pens, will not stay in the fabric, and the first time the quilt is washed the soap mark disappears. I find it excellent for marking solid colours, so that I always am using the correct side oft he fabric.

C
C
I'm a newbie! But have been 'lurking' for a while. Thought I might add my mite to the list....though I am probably telling you things that you already know! 1. When piecing I always activate the 'needle down' option in my sewing machine, and use the 1/4 inch foot. 2. To start each seam, I start sewing into and slightly beyond a bit of scrap fabric (usually an off-cut from leftover binding!), raise the foot, then position the fabric to be stitched against the needle leaving a 1/4 inch seam width, lower the foot, and continue stitching. At the end of the seam, the stitching will be continued on into another scrap of fabric. You can use this method when chain stitching; just remember to continue for a few stitches between each set of fabric pieces. This ensures that the beginnings and endings of each seam maintain the exact 1/4 inch position. It also provides a short length of twisted thread which helps stop the beginning of the seam unravelling as it is handled. 3. I pin units together at right angles to intended seam line at the beginning of the seam, and parallel to the seam line elsewhere. Finally, if you, like me, are a bit obsessive, see if you can get Sally Collins' book "Mastering Precision Piecing" (ISBN 9781571203632). She explains all this so much better!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Love these Imm, my father-in-law was a tailor, and I inherited all his fine slithers of soap that he used to mark fabrics. You are right, it works a treat - costs nothing and washes out!

Thanks for sharing Lorraine.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Welcome aboard ClareB, and I really like your tips. I call the second tip of your - run ons and run offs. The fabric is there for you to run onto and run off, and it also buries the thread before it gets to your block piecing.

Hope to hear more from you. Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

I need a tip... I made a pin cushion, and sometimes my pins don't want to pierce the fabric, the stuffing is rolled up batting scraps. Is my problem the stuffing or do pins actually get dull enough not to stick into a pin cushion? and... why don't quilts get finished with one side of the fabric being folded over the other side and stitched in? I am making a quilt that has a faux furry back and a quilted front and it seems folding the faux furry side over the front will be the best way to edge it because the furry stuff is super slick and I'm concerned about trying to cut it and then stitch it inside a separate binding and it staying put? is there a rule I shouldn't break here?

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Hpiner, my guess is it's more to do with the stuffing and less do to with the sharpness of the pins. I've done the same, using scraps of batting, but my experience is that you really need to tease out the batting so the pins will slide easily through it. Having said that, your pins do dull over time - I replace all my pins every 1st of April each year. This way I don't have problems with dulling, nor do I have issues with rusted pins marking fabrics. It doesn't cost much and it's a pleasure to use good sharp pins every time.

Regarding the question about folding over backing to the front - as far as I know there's noting written down in concrete that says you can't do it. I'd give it a go. A couple of my mantras go like this:

"ask for forgiveness, not permission" and
"remember the rules are there's no rules!!"

Let us know how you get on Hpiner

Does any one else have some tips for pincushions and using backing to bind your quilts?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

L
lmm Offline
L
Hi Hpiner and Judie, Mny years ago I used the backing to come forward over the quilt top and folded it under as a binding, the process worked well. In my case, I really wanted the backing fabric as the binding, but there was just not enough to cut binding strips in the traditional way, but the backing fabric was bigger than the quilt top. That quilt looked great and I had no problems with it. From memory I hand stitched the back down, and then sewed a 1/4 inch away from the edge of the quilt all the way around, and it looked as if there was a binding on the quilt. I also mitred the corners to help reduce the bulk. I have never been one for rules, instead tending to do what I wanted to do and use fabrics that I want, and I love incorporating different fabrics into quilts. I try to remember the rules and why they might be there, and stabilise fabrics or starch them when incorporating if they are not 100% cotton. My belief is that the rules were made by sewers after trial and error, so if I want to do the trial and error and see if something works for me and it does, great, if not to bad, I always have an unpicker available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.