Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#826930 06/22/13 06:26 AM
P
PWBerg Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I would appreciate some advice. My sister past away and I'm trying to find the best way to finish a quilt she began for her daughter, and possibly enlarge it. The quilt top was finished and is sized for a double bed. My niece would like for it to fit a queen. I've tried to duplicate her quilt pattern but I can't seem to match it exactly and I'm off enough that it isn't going to look good. I'm wondering what is my best option. The borders for the double were already cut and I do have some fabric left should I add wider borders, etc? I'm not certain I have enough to add wider borders., any advice how to measure for that. This is only a 2 color quilt; blue on blue and white. Thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Since I don't know what pattern the quilt is, I can't say for sure that this would work; but. . . . .

Put the borders that are already cut and ready to go on the quilt as your sister intended them. Then add the additional pieces you have done outside the borders. The inside will be as she meant the quilt to look and it won't matter as much if your contribution doesn't match her work. Add another border if you have to, but the binding may be enough to finish the look.

It's really great that you are doing this in memory of your sister. I'm really sorry for your loss.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
P
PWBerg Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello GrannyH, Gosh, I didn't even think of that! Kind of outside the box thinking LOL. I think that could work. I have not been able to figure out if I could post a picture on here, but your right if I added the blocks outside of the borders then the additional blocks I've made wouldn't have to exactly match hers. Not sure how that's going to work out in the number of blocks needed to even it out but I think it's worth a try. Thank you soo much! My niece will be thrilled as this will become her daughter's (my great niece) new quilt for her "big girl" bed. My sister will be smiling from heaven for sure. Thanks again!

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
PWBerg, I do hope it works. Come back and let us know when it's complete.

As far as posting photos, I haven't posted any as long as I've been around here, so I can't give instructions. I think the photo has to already be somewhere on the www so you can link to it (Facebook works). And I think newbies cannot link until they are regulars. Please don't let what I say stop you cause I haven't checked out the rules and regs for several years.

Happy Quilting, GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Wow, girls, I am thrilled with the way this thread has worked out. I love your idea GrannyH of putting the quilt together as PWBerg's sister intended - that closes the circle beautifully. As for posting photos, one of the best ways to do that is to open up a Pinterest page for yourself and post your photos there. Just link it when speaking on the forum, and everyone can have a look. I've just started my Pinterest page - here's the link: www.pinterest.com/judieb56/boards/
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
M
M
You have received excellent advise. Enjoy the process of finishing this special quilt.

Maureen

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.