Print Thread
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
I know this for certain: in order for a greater tomorrow, we must always embrace our history. It holds the keys to our future, and to the future of each and every generation to come. We cannot possibly know where we are going, without knowing where we came from.

Embracing Your Black History

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Black history seems something of a mystery even to so-called 'professionals'. One of my funniest memories is the diversity training I participated in on joining our local council workforce. The presenter started out by saying "There have been people from Africa living in the UK since the 1500's" I put my hand up and asked "So you're not including Phoenician traders, the Roman Auxiliaries, or the hundreds of ordinary sailors that lived, worked , and married local people before that time then"? The presenter had to admit she didn't. She didn't even know about Septimius Severus who was Roman Emperor from 193–211, and who died in what is now Scotland while trying to extend the Empire into Pictish territory. A key part of his force was a group of crack troops from Africa Skilled in cavalry techniques.
As the seminar continued it became clear that it was based on a script from the 1970's and never been revised to take into account the advances in archaeology and access to historical paperwork that the internet and greater general education now provides. I did my best to elaborate on some of it for the presenter, but all it did was seem to stress her as it wasn't what she had been taught.
Exactly what are they covering in the U.S. on this subject then?

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
Sadly, it's not much difference; unless we take it upon ourselves to teach.

Moderated by  Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.