Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Weakened respiratory and upper airway muscles caused by neuromuscular disorder can cause insufficient breathing during sleep in both adults and children, leading to increased risk of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). During obstructive sleep apnea, a person has reduced air flow or stops breathing.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Neuromuscular Disease

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have sleep apnea been on a c-pap machine for almost 17 yrs
thank you Jori for the article very interesting

Rosie L
I have both obstructive sleep apnea and central nervous system involvement. My pulmonologist said he was alarmed, because my brain said I didn't need to breath 14 times during my night at the sleep clinic. He said it's probably due to my neuromuscular disorder, but CMT is peripheral. I'm trying to get used to my CPAP machine,but am having a difficult time falling to sleep with the mask and staying asleep.

Jori did you come across any info on anything I may be able to do about the CNS aspect? I haven't found anything. Thanks again for another great article.

**NOTE: new users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 03/08/13 02:23 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I'm glad that you found the article interesting Rosie. If you feel comfortable, would you share how CPAP has helped you? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Rosie L
I have sleep apnea been on a c-pap machine for almost 17 yrs
thank you Jori for the article very interesting

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi, Mindy. I'm glad that you found my article interesting. Keep working at getting used to the CPAP machine, as it will make a big difference to your sleep, health, and quality of life. You might want to talk to your physician for some strategies to get used to it.

It is hard to find much specific to central sleep apnea. Here is an overview:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003997.htm

Here is a link to a couple of brief articles from Lancet noting the increased incidence of CSA in those with CMT, but which makes it clear that it is not yet understood why there is an association:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(00)05280-6/fulltext

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(00)05281-8/fulltext

Here is an abstract from PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17294338

I hope that these help you to find some good information.

Jori

Originally Posted By: Mindy2010
I have both obstructive sleep apnea and central nervous system involvement. My pulmonologist said he was alarmed, because my brain said I didn't need to breath 14 times during my night at the sleep clinic. He said it's probably due to my neuromuscular disorder, but CMT is peripheral. I'm trying to get used to my CPAP machine,but am having a difficult time falling to sleep with the mask and staying asleep.

Jori did you come across any info on anything I may be able to do about the CNS aspect? I haven't found anything. Thanks again for another great article.

**NOTE: new users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Jori, My C-PAP Machine has taken away all of the severe headaches I use to wake up with
I no longer am falling asleep during the day
Once i fell asleep on the bus snoring frown
I am no longer snoring at all during my sleep with my C-PAP
At first it was difficult trying to sleep with the air blowing at me and the sound of the machine it self
But now I don't even notice
I can't sleep with out my mask
If it troubles you in the beginning with the air and noise don't stop using your C-PAP give it time

Rosie L
Jori thank you for the information. I'll bring it to my next Drs. appointment. Am I allowed to mention my blog on Living Well With CMT at: cmtnyus.Wordpress I wrote about spending a night at a sleep clinic. Would like to get some feedback instead of just spam. Although I'm not living too well lately, still writing to let people know about CMT. Melinda (Mindy)

Rosie,Thanks for letting me know it is possible to get used to the cold air blowing in your face and the noise of the machine. This is what makes it difficult for me to fall asleep with the CPAP mask. Good to know, that if I hang in there, I will get used to it and eventually will feel better.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I did not recognize you as 'Mindy!' Of course you can mention your blog, Melinda. Living Well with CMT. Here are links:

Living Well with CMT

and a link to your article about your sleep study:

Wired for Sleep

To those of you who have not yet visited Melinda's blog, I highly recommend reading it!

Jori

Jori thank you for the information. I'll bring it to my next Drs. appointment.

Am I allowed to mention my blog on Living Well With CMT at: cmtnyus.Wordpress I wrote about spending a night at a sleep clinic. Would like to get some feedback instead of just spam. Although I'm not living too well lately, still writing to let people know about CMT.

Melinda (Mindy)

Last edited by Jori-ND Editor; 03/09/13 09:17 AM.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Mindy, if your CPAP does not have the 'heated humidity' feature, ask your physician if you can get one that does. My understanding is that heated humidity makes CPAP more tolerable.

Rosie,Thanks for letting me know it is possible to get used to the cold air blowing in your face and the noise of the machine. This is what makes it difficult for me to fall asleep with the CPAP mask. Good to know, that if I hang in there, I will get used to it and eventually will feel better.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jori-ND Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.