Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#807571 02/23/13 05:26 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Mental health disorders are often depicted on the big screen, from borderline personality disorder in the movie Fatal Attraction to dissociative disorder in Fight Club. But no one presents a more chilling and graphic case of psychosis than Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining.

Psychosis on the Big Screen

Did you know Stephen King is coming out with a long-awaited sequel?

Last edited by Dr. Hershey-MH; 02/23/13 05:49 AM.

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I didn't know that a sequel was on its way. That's exciting! Thanks for the heads up.

One of my favorite films that depicts mental illness is "A Beautiful Mind." "As Good as It Gets" is about OCD, and I enjoyed that one, too.

Can you define psychosis versus mental illness?

Also, when you think of the definition of delusion, it makes me wonder if we all suffer from it as we each have our own belief sets that run contrary to others. I don't want to open up a can of worms here but, for example, there are people who believe that the earth is only 4,000 years old and that evolution is a lie even when there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
In short, psychosis is a loss of contact with reality and
mental illness is a condition that can disrupt a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

Delusions come in many forms...persecutory, grandiose, etc. Having a thought or belief that is mild and stands alone (no other symptoms) would not make one delusional or mentally ill. Hope that helps smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I was a tad offended by the enamoring and the macabre glee in people never tiring of watching ' The Shining '.

It's ' entertaining ', unless of course you actually have gone through it.

It is abject horror to go through it.

No entertaining parts whatsoever.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I'm sorry, Burt. frown

I never saw "The Shining" from beginning to end because I am not into the horror genre per se. But my daughter is a Stephen King fan and so I am happy she has something to look forward to.

It's not that I find films about mental illness entertaining but rather informative. I am always interested in seeing how people live under conditions they are given. And I love to see them triumph despite their challenges!

Yet, I understand how you feel regarding such movies. My uncle who was a war veteran refused to watch war movies. He did not find them entertaining at all either.

Living with mental illness can be like going through a war every day.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thank You Lori smile

Yeah, it just hurts that we as a whole seem to enjoy seeing others suffer.

We all have that darkness within us to be attracted to ' The Dark Side '.

Your daughter may be older than a teenager, but girls that age are real big Stephen King fans.

I just don't enjoy watching other people suffer or have a ' come up ance '.

I think God and the Cosmos will provide plenty of retribution.

-- Burt B. smile

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
A sequel to The Shinning and it's written also by Stephen King? This is so exciting! I love that movie and book (although the book was read when i only spoke french so i will have to buy and read it again in its original version), I also love horror (movies and books) but I have to admit that eventhough the movie is well done and acted it did not scare me. I suffer from depression, I have lots of stress and I also have panic attacks (it is so severe that i thought for a few months that i was choking when i was eating, drinking, swallowing spit and not doing any of that...it came to that point all because of a tooth ache) and I never have been offended when any of these things end up in a movie. I never get offended anyway while watching a movie (or reading a book or watching a show or looking at a website or by toys or whatever else like these things) since it's all fiction. I preffer to be offended over real things like for this subject real people who put down and judge people who suffers from mental illnesses and mental problems.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yikes! I definitely do not like to witness the suffering of others! That is not what attracts me to films about mental illness. I think it is because "there but for the grace of God go I" and also, I have my own mental challenges to manage albeit, thankfully, on a lesser scale.

My daughter has her own which is why she is/was attracted to the genre. She just informed me, however, that she has "outgrown" that. LOL. And she now prefers fantasy novels.

I think there is a prejudice against the mentally ill and in film, the afflicted are all too often portrayed as murderous psychopaths. That is why I very much like the movies that depict those with mental challenges in a more positive light.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH

Delusions come in many forms...persecutory, grandiose, etc. Having a thought or belief that is mild and stands alone (no other symptoms) would not make one delusional or mentally ill. Hope that helps smile

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Once stigmatized, you have your civil liberties stripped from you.

Ever hear of a sheltered workshop ?

It is a federal program where once you are in a mental institution, they have the right to take 70% of your SSI check then send you to work and pay you a whopping $15 cash for an 80 hour week.

So, please forgive me if I'm a bit on the bitter side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.