logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH
Did you know that some anti-depressant medications can cause a person with Bipolar Disorder to go into a manic phase?

Accurate diagnosis is critical. If a person is mistakenly diagnosed with Depression (not Bipolar Disorder) they could be at risk for this unwanted result from their medication.

Having a thorough face to face evaluation by a licensed mental health professional is strongly recommended.

Boy Howdy!

I don't think that the word bi-polar even existed when my odessy began in 1977!

I got T.D. (tounge stack out involutaririly) many times.

Last edited by Burt B.; 02/13/13 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Burt,

It was called manic depressive disorder back then. It wasn't until 1980 that the term bipolar disorder was introduced.

The other reason you may have had a difficult journey is that it wasn't until around 1980 that there was a drastic change in perspective regarding mental health disorders. It was around that time that a bio-medical approach was substituted for the psychodynamic conceptualization.

You were at the beginning of some major changes.....

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Burt,

It was called manic depressive disorder back then. It wasn't until 1980 that the term bipolar disorder was introduced.

The other reason you may have had a difficult journey is that it wasn't until around 1980 that there was a drastic change in perspective regarding mental health disorders. It was around that time that a bio-medical approach was substituted for the psychodynamic conceptualization.

You were at the beginning of some major changes.....

Indeed.

I'm glad that we are where we are now.

Collectively, each and every human being is growing on several different fronts and dimensions at the same time.

My illness pushed me head-long into many spiritual chasms and unknown dangers until I cried out to ' the universe ' and got some answers.

How well are you acquainted with:

Grof, S. & Grof, C. (Eds.) (1989). Spiritual emergency: When personal transformation becomes a crisis. Los Angeles: Tarcher.

Work concerning the DSM-IV Codes including the term Spiritual Emergency ?

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Burt,
I have never heard of the term Spiritual Emergency. I will look into it.

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Burt,
I have never heard of the term Spiritual Emergency. I will look into it.

Thank You Doctor Hershey.

My Hope is that your research will help someone in your clinical practice and also help me to have a learned mind consider the material and reflect it back to me.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Burt,
I have researched this term further.
I believe you already know this...but for me and for those following the thread.....

Spiritual Emergency is a crises when an individual may question their sense of identity, their values and may embrace mystical and spiritual experiences at this time. This usually results in fear and confusion. They may feel tremendous anxiety, have difficulty coping with their daily lives, jobs, and relationships, and may even fear for their own sanity.

This type of emergency seems to be treated and researched by a branch of psychology called Transpersonal Psychology. This branch of psychology integrates psychological concepts, theories, and methods with subject matter and practices of the spiritual disciplines.

I found a book that others (I know I am) may be interested in reading to get more detailed information. It is called Spiritual Emergency: When Personal Transformation Becomes a Crisis (New Consciousness Readers) Stanislav Grof, Christina Grof

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Burt,
I have researched this term further.
I believe you already know this...but for me and for those following the thread.....

Spiritual Emergency is a crises when an individual may question their sense of identity, their values and may embrace mystical and spiritual experiences at this time. This usually results in fear and confusion. They may feel tremendous anxiety, have difficulty coping with their daily lives, jobs, and relationships, and may even fear for their own sanity.

This type of emergency seems to be treated and researched by a branch of psychology called Transpersonal Psychology. This branch of psychology integrates psychological concepts, theories, and methods with subject matter and practices of the spiritual disciplines.

I found a book that others (I know I am) may be interested in reading to get more detailed information. It is called Spiritual Emergency: When Personal Transformation Becomes a Crisis (New Consciousness Readers) Stanislav Grof, Christina Grof

Thank You Doctor.

This happened to me in 1983.

The unraveling and deconstruction your ego and identity is a very shattering and problematic experience.

Everything that you thought you were is shattered in a million pieces and lying on the floor.

Last edited by Burt B.; 02/24/13 08:32 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.