Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
I have a cold and don't feel like exercising. Should I? Do you exercise when you are sick?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I do. If I skip just one day then I use this as an excuse to stop exercising (the last time i stopped was some time in august 2009 [i used moving to another city as an excuse] tonight will be the 162th day that i started again so you can see what happens when i use an excuse to stop). When I see that I'm starting to be fed up or about to give up exercising I give myself a break (of 4 weeks) then start another exercise. What I do is not extreme and hard so what it only does when I exercise while sick is that it is harder than usual.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy you have incredible determination. You must be very proud of yourself for sticking to it. I think your idea of taking a break, (and designating how long), is a good one. Sometimes that's just what you need to get motivated.

Since I have been sick I have been doing a gentle yoga practice and using my Miracle Balls. Today I am feeling better and jumped on the old recumbent bike. Could only go 20 minutes but I have to start somewhere to build up my strength.

It was nice to talk with you.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I do exercise when I am sick because if I'm congested I find it helps. But I will go on the treadmill at 2mph instead of 3mph, for instance. And maybe for a shorter time.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Tina.
Sometimes it makes us feel better if we just do a little bit of exercise and going slower is definitely the right thing to do.

Thanks for joining the conversation.

N
N
Hi Terri! I'm happy to hear that you now feel better. Yoga is something that interest me, I may try it one of these days. I never heard of miracle balls. It's a miracle when I actually do something I say I'll do and when I don't give up after (sometimes i even give up before starting) so for me saying that I will do an exercise for a certain amount of time and actually do it is really something big (even when sick...im a big wuss so when im sick its worst). That idea of taking a break and the idea of starting at one then adding one each day I had several years ago, I tried that to see if I could actually get at least that done and it worked (until i gave it before moving that is...im really lazy since then).

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'll admit that I do not exercise if I am sick. Instead, I rest, and ensure that I am feeding my body what it needs to get better. Regular exercise, if we pick something enjoyable is easy to pick back up when we get well. IMO. But, if I just have a mild cold or something that would not keep me home from work, then I continue on as normal as long as no headache, fever, vomiting etc,... is involved.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, you are probably really confused by now, I know I am. I thought my posted didn't go through then I realized it was under a different topic. So you will see several posts from me. Forgive my clumsiness.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Stephanie, nice to meet you. If I am really sick then I won't exercise either. The first week I was sick I didn't have the energy to get out of bed so I sure didn't workout then. I slowly got better and did yoga as I felt better.

Listening to our bodies is really important and knowing when to take care of yourself and rest is a good thing.

Thanks for posting.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Nancy, it's me again. You should give yoga a try. If you can't take a class there are some good videos. I have an article on beginning yoga and on miracle balls, (oh you would love them), here are the articles if you are interested in reading them:The Miracle Ball Method Review
Beginning Yoga Students Start Here

You really should think about giving the Miracle Balls a try. They are so relaxing and feel really good.

N
N
Don't worry about replying to me on the other topic too, I'm not confused at all. I live in a very small town and the two towns near are small so there is no yoga classes available here (i would be very surprised if there are some in the bigger towns [1 is less than 1 hour and the other less than 2 hours] i think these classes would be found in Montreal...in my province theres not a lot of open minded people so things like yoga is looked at like its wrong or/and weird or/and stupid) but that won't stop me from trying it if I decide to do it one of these days. I checked out your link for the miracle balls and right now I'm not looking for things like that as far as exercises go, maybe later I'll want to try it.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
No, I do not exercise when I am sick. I like to give my body complete rest so energy can be focused on healing.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
R
R
Gentle tai chi type stretching excercise on rare sick days helps me keep going, mostly if I get a head cold. As soon as it eases I go out for a morning walk or run, but it's important to drink more fluids when you're sick plus immune system boosters.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Lori.

Focusing on healing is a good thing. We all need to take care of ourselves in different ways.

Thanks for your post.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Ravenna. I am so glad you mentioned drinking lots of fluids when we're sick. It is so very important.

Thanks for your post.

H
H
I do my rebounder *mini-trampoline. Helps clean up lymph tissue.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hello HappyMe09. As you have probably read some people do like to work out when they are sick. I'm wondering about the cleaning up the lymph tissue, are you referring to sweating out the toxins?

N
N
Today I have been prescribed antibiotics (took too long...had a problem with a tooth since november 13 and today my dentist finally realised it was an infection!!! i thought i had a throat cancer or something because i have a lump and many more problems that kept on getting worst by the day) and I still will continue my exercise every night before my shower and going to bed. I have been feeling awful for more than a month anyway (no energy..its like how you feel before getting sick but you never get that illness and just keep on feeling that way) and I kept on doing the exercise (the 1 i finished in january was way harder than the 1 im doing now). I'll just stop taking my calciums and vitamins during the ten days I have to take that medication (i forgot to mention them to my dentist and pharmacist...dont want to take any chances).

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Nancy. It's been awhile since we've talked. I'm really sorry about your tooth infection. I know it can be really painful, but most of the time when we are sick it is the lack of energy that is worse.

I know you feel like your between a rock and a hard place. If you take a break from your exercise you are afraid it may be a permanent break. All I can tell you is to follow your instincts and do what you're able.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I can now answer this question with recent illness experience :-)
absolutely not, I couldn't even think about exercising for three days, barely getting out of bed. I think the body needs time to heal sometimes.

Perhaps depending on how serious the illness, perhaps at home - otherwise it would unfair to subject anyone else to my germs.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
I'm am definite that no one wants your germs! Your right though sometimes we are just so sick exercise is the last thing on our minds. It is best to listen to our bodies. If we listen deep enough our instinct will always guide us.

N
N
Today is much worst. I started the antibiotics yesterday during supper and I stupidly thought that it would be easy to chew (i cant swallow pills...until now i had no problems chewing pills) and oh boy that was a mistake, the first bite was like an explosion of awful tastes and then it was worst after I put water in my mouth, I'm still amazed at me being able to swallow that without throwing up (i put food in my mouth after and had to spit that out because i would of thrown up and i didn not want to waste what i swallowed) then last night and this morning I cut it in four and it went good (i took it with cake icing at night then an egg this morning). At dinner it went good (icing too then pizza) but after eating I had a panic attack. I thought I was choking to death and it also hurt in new places (it still hurts and still feels like something is stuck in my throat and im a little weak due to the attack). I'll take the next pill (with icing then soup or something) at 19:30 since I have an Hockey game at 20:30 (yes even thinking im dying i still dont want to miss my games..haha) and then I'll see tonight how I feel after the last pill of the day. I called the pharmacist and he said that normally we can see a difference after three days so if nothing has changed to go to the hospital (my next game would be Tuesday so thats doable..haha). If I feel like this tonight I could still exercise without problems but if it gets worst I won't.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, how terrible for you. Your throat is probably traumatized and that's why it hurts. You may have even scarped it. The icing pill sounds good. I love icing.

Do you play hockey, coach hockey, watch hockey in person, or watch on TV? I'm anxious to hear your answer.

Careful with the exercising, don't over do it. We are all thinking of you and sending you lots of healing energy!

N
N
Hi Terri! Thanks for your concerns! I watch Hockey, the Dallas Stars is my team. I don't think my throat is hurt other than having an infection, if I really would be choking or it would be scarped it would hurt all the time or I will feel like that all the time. I think the pills (Apo-Pen VK) are starting to work. The throat pains are less severe and I think the tooth is starting to hurt less (i still dont eat on that side). I woke up with a huge headache and I will take some aspirins with some pasta after this (still havent taken any since im fed up of chewing pills). I took pill number eight not too long ago so thirtytwo left! I think it will take a while before I eat that icing again (butter icing...my second favorite), the taste it has while mixed with that pill is far from being good but it is really good as far as being able to easily and fastly swallow the chewed pills. I did do my exercise last night before my shower and it went well despite hurting almost everywhere.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
You have a lot of courage. Sounds like you are miserable but you had the willpower to do your exercise. Remember keep it simple and listen to your body, which I'm sure you already do.

N
N
Thanks Terri! I had muscle pain and low energy last night so the exercise was hard to do, thankfully it's one that is not hard and do not demand lots of energy plus it was only day twentytwo and you know how I do my exercises. Last night was the second night in a row that I slept well. I woke up feeling good (if you dont count the right leg cramp i got after streching before coming out of the bed) with no aches and no pain but during the afternoon I ate a few bretzels then I thought I had something stuck in my throat on the left then the left side of my neck started hurting so I stressed about that and I got a small headache out of it. I took another pill before coming here so now three days out of the ten are taken. The throat is fine now it's just the headache and some neck pain at the back.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
I think you might need a good relaxation technique. I use this simple breathing exercise when I'm stressed. I like to do it lying down with my legs propped up, either on the floor with legs on couch or in bed using pillows.

=Find your favorite comfortable position
=Close your eyes
=Start noticing your breath, are you breathing fast, choppy, or smoothly
=You will want to slow it down
=Take both hands to your belly and place one on each side
=Take a deep breath, (just deep not forced) notice how your belly expands like a balloon under your hands
=Bring both hands to your ribcage, one hand on each side
=Take your deep breath and notice how the ribcage expands when you inhale
=Take both hands and place them on your chest
=Take your deep breath and notice the chest rising under your hands

Now do this in reverse:
=start at your chest and this time bring your attention to your exhale, do you feel the contraction under your hands as the air goes out
=Do the same thing at the ribcage noticing the contraction on the exhale
=Now your back at your belly. Feel your belly deflate with the exhale.
=Do a few more breaths using your hands and then breath naturally without the hands just being aware of the breath. The breath rises through your body on the inhale and flows slowly out on the exhale.
=Don't force your breath, let it be natural. You can do this breath as long as you want but try to start with one minute

This is called the Three Part Breath or sometimes The Yogic Breath.

Let us know if you give it a try.

N
N
Hi Terri! Last night I was alright so I did my exercise. I ended up in the emergency room of the hospital this afternoon. After my breakfast it was like I had something stuck at the left in my throat and one hour later it was still like that so went there to have it checked out. Turns out the doctor did see that it was red where it all started (the filling in a tooth with no problem) but the rest apparently is all in my head (i have a lump and my mom did saw and felt it so my mom too apparently is crazy because when the doctor said that nothing was wrong with my neck and throat i asked about that lump and she made a face then touched there again and said nothing was there...a neighbor called before i went there and ill go see her tomorrow if shes there and ill ask her to touch it and if she can feel that lump then thatll make 3 crazies). Anyways I did took my pill this morning and after coming back I took some ice cream then a pill with some soup, now I'll take the third of the day (i almost decided on only taking 3 today but i want to get rid of these things fast). She gave me a paper for some blood test (it has to do with the throat...she admitted that she could feel 1 thing there that might be bigger then it was supposed to when she was writting that blood test down...every doctors here seems to be incompetent!!). Thank you for that relaxation technique, I will try it for sure (maybe not tonight...ill try it when ill have some peace and quiet time to myself)!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, wow, what a horrible day for you. I hope you get the mystery of the lump solved and that is nothing wrong.

Keep doing that exercise and let us know soon how you are feeling.

N
N
Hi Terri! Today I have low energy and my infected tooth hurts more than it did before, as far as my throat and neck are concerned it hurts but apparently it's all in my head. My neighbor was gone today so I was not able to ask her if she feels the lump too. I was able to get an appointment for the blood test, I still don't know why she gave me that paper since she thinks it's all in my head! I did my exercise last night and it was hard, thankfully I went with a very easy exercise so I'm still able to do that while I'm sick. Tonight I may have the time to try that breathing exercise, when I will try it I will tell you how it went. Thanks for all your kind words, concerns and recommendations!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Hi Nancy. Sorry you're still not feeling good. Congratulations on sticking with your exercise. I hope you like the breathing exercise.

Let us know how you're feeling.

N
N
Thanks Terri! Today I still have low energy but the throat is okay. I had trouble again doing the exercise last night but I still did it completely without stopping. The pain in my tooth won't go away and there's sixteen more pills to go, I hope I won't have to take more antibiotics, if it's really three shots per day (i think she said that to scare me because she did not want to give it to me...the next time i go to the drugstore ill ask the pharmacist if its true) sounds interesting with the thought of chewing forty antibiotics again!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, glad to hear your throat is better but sad you are still sick. I hope you don't have to do another round of antibiotics, yuck!

Take care of yourself and don't exercise too hard. Keep us posted. TJ

N
N
Hi Terri! Today I have low energy and thought I was choking after breakfast and diner but the rest is okay. I am still doing my exercises (it went well last night). And I also learned today that when the doctor in the emergency room Monday said that that medication by injection would be three times a day is not true! They only have Apo-Pen VK with pills, it's other antibiotics that are available by injections and they are only given when you cannot get rid of an infection! I think hell exists and it's called Amqui! Only the pharmacists there know what they are doing medicine wise. I think I better find a way to get money to go where I used to live to get rid of my health problems because my tooth still hurts so unless a miracle happens these pills would not have worked (and its rare because 3 out of 4 times they do work!!).

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Please know that we are all pulling for you and that you will get better soon.

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

D
D
I do only light exercises when I am sick, like walking, doing some stretching and some simple exercise. We should not force ourselves to still perform the usual exercise we do when we are sick, somehow we can think of it as our valid excuse to skip.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Djesse, I agree it is good to take care of ourselves when we are sick and temper our workouts, or rest altogether. But if we stop altogether then we risk getting out of our routine and stopping.

I think maybe we could all go sit and do deep breathing during our regular workout time in order to save that time slot.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
I'm not sure it's healthy to exercise when I'm not feeling well. In fact, it could be a little dangerous. Depending on how bad I feel I either cancel the workout or just cut it back a bit.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Edie, you are doing the right think by always listening to your body. Your instinct will tell you what to do.

N
N
Thanks Terri! Today I woke up and the throat was already feeling awful. Thankfully it is okay now, I got fed up after taking the last pill then cooked meat with a mushroom sauce, I made sure to left enough for tomorrow's dinner and a little piece for tonight and I am planning of making pasta with cheese later too, I am tired of being hungry all the time because I am afraid of choking! The exercise went well last night (i was getting tired at the end though but i did it all in one time). I think I may have the time before my Hockey game to do the breathing exercise, if I do I'll let you know tomorrow!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
That's great Nancy. I'm glad you are enjoying your food. It's making me hungry.

N
N
Hi Terri! Yesterday I could not wait for my exercise to end but I was able to do it (i almost gave up). I did not eat a lot but it was more than I have been eating lately. Today the throat and neck are allright so far. I chewed a pill about an hour ago and I have four more. Still no changes. Now the plan unless a miracle happens is to call my doctor for an emergency appointment and if I cannot have one I will go straight back to the hospital, if that's the case I better not get a doctor who will say it's all in my head, that time I was about to have a panic attack so I was not myself, now I am and I am not in a good mood and I better have some tests done to see what is going on exactly with me so I can get rid of it. The worst is that I'll probably have to take some disgusting pills again, hopefully the next medication would be available by injection or at least liquid!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy y0u are really having a rough time. I am glad for you that you were able to do your exercise. Good luck on seeing the doctor, and keep us posted.

N
N
Yesterday too I almost gave up on my exercise but was able to do it anyway and in one time. Today was a better day. I have more energy and my throat did not give me so much trouble (i was able to eat something after my game and i did not have the impression of choking like usual...i did have that impression after but it went away after a few minutes...it was weird being able to eat something entirely and not thinking i was choking). The tooth still hurts like crazy. I woke up late but took the last pill before my Hockey game eventhough it was only two hours that I had taken the other pill, at least these pills are over with but they did not do anything! Tomorrow morning I'll call for an appointment, if I cannot have one this week then emergency room time again.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, I am glad you got to enjoy your hockey games inspite of your toothache. It is unusual that the antibiotics have not helped and I am glad you are going back to the doctor.

Let us know what happens.

N
N
I was able to do my exercise yesterday but again it was hard. I called this morning for an emergency appointment with my doctor and she is on vacation this week so I then asked for another doctor then I was told they could not do that so I went back to the hospital. Now I know that there are at least one real doctor here because I got her! She did a real examination after hearing me say everything that has been going on and asking questions. After I had blood tests done and another (what they use to see fetuses) focused on my neck and throat. Everything is okay and nothing is wrong with my neck and throat (the other blood tests were for my white and red cells plus vitamins and other important thing...all that too are normal). Turns out it was really in my head (the other doc told me that like i was crazy and not doing tests), it happened gradually so that was my stress coming out gradually until it exploded. I was able to eat since coming back (i had 2 tiny scares at my first meal back then a big 1...and almost nothing during my last meal), it will probably take a few days until it is all out of my head since I've been like that (thinking im choking plus things stuck plus pain) for a while. She did try to make me take antidepressants but after I told her that I can function normally when nothing physically is wrong with me (after all the tooth pain is real and is still there..she cant do nothing about that...ill try the last of the 3 dentists available here hopefully hes normal) she let it go, I did get a prescription of something for just in case (panic attack...awful days...not being able to sleep), my mom has that medication for that same reason (hers is double what the nice doc prescribed me so i took 1 of hers then cut it in 2) and I will try it tonight right before bed to see if it is good. I only slept less than one hour last night so I will go to bed early, that will also mean getting up early so I will use that as a chance to take a nice long walk tomorrow (where its too dangerous to walk at night). Thank you Terri for all your concerns and wanting to know what happened!

N
N
I for got to mention that the problem with the tooth is not an infection so I took that antibiotic for no reason!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Wow! You sure have been through a lot. Know wonder your stress exploded. Please try the breathing exeercise tonight when you lay down to go to sleep; right after you take the pill. You will sleep good tonight for sure.

We have a site here at BellaOnline.com on depression and their is a site for stress management. Why don't you take a look around and see if there is anything that interest you.

Keep in touch.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I did today, I've been battling the flu (again) all week, but I HAD to get out today. I didn't overdo. I did a run/walk for 2 miles...honestly though, I'm not sure it was a "great" idea because I'm so congested and by the time I finished, I had a headache and my neck hurt - but truth be told, I felt I needed to push myself today.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
N
N
Hi Dianne, I hope you are feeling better now. I too like to go outside and have a walk when I feel bad or/and stressed. If it was not too cold outside and you were properly dressed I'm sure that two miles helped you, fresh air can be relaxing and helpful.

N
N
Terri, I have been feeling better lately. I am still thinking about my nexk and throat issues but the symptoms rarely come with it so I keep on eating. The tooth still hurts though and on March 26 I have an appointment with the last available dentist here, hopefully it's a real one. I am still doing my exercise without stopping and like I planned on doing every night before every showers.

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy, I'm so sorry about your tooth. Maybe they will just pull it out. What have the other dentists said?

Congratulations on sticking to your exercise routine. Doesn't it make you feel great that you have been able to do it?

N
N
I hope they won't have to pull it out! It's just a filling that was done on it eventhough there was no cavity and no filling. I never had a problem of sensitivity after a filling, maybe it was just that (especially since there was no need for a filling...the tooth is probably angry!!!!!) but with all this chopping of some of it she and the other moron dentist made it worst. If that last dentist does not work I will have to find a way to get enough money to go back to where I used to live to be able to see my old dentist, he knows how to work unless the morons here! One thing is for sure though I will at least make a complaint on every of these worthless dentists, that's why I am waiting to do that in case the last one here is a moron who don't know how to work properly too, I was all of this over with and take care of all the complaints at the same time.

N
N
And yes it makes me feel great to be able to make a plan for exercising and do it (sorry about not replying to this in my other post :-( i forgot). I rarely do what I say I'll do so in addition of feeling great with the exercise I feel great because I am starting and finishing something for a change!

T
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
T
Nancy good for you. Self-discipline will give you confidence and you will continue to feel great!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.