Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Language is the vehicle of education and the transmission of culture. Teachers especially need to value their native language and its literature. It is not enough to be a math teacher or P.E. teacher. All teachers must be English teachers.

Do you agree?

Stop Devaluing Standard English

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
When I taught high school math, I would require correct spelling and good grammar from my students. When they complained, I told them they would need good spelling and grammar all their lives as well as good math skills.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Jeanne,
If teachers of every subject did that, we wouldn't have the literacy problem we have.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
That is very true and once a student transitions to the workplace, their skills or lack of skills become very noticeable.

Our culture is becoming diluted in many ways. The stress that is put on diversity causes segregation in some ways.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I agree completely. If we don't teach students standard English, then we're doing them a great disservice, for they will not have the skills they need for higher education and to compete in the job market.

Insisting that children and young people learn to use standard English appropriately in school is not the same as saying there's something wrong with speaking otherwise at home and with friends. Part of their education must be to learn how to use appropriate language in different contexts.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Mona,
In all my writing about standard English I make the point that no one dialect is "better" than another. All forms of English are correct to their speakers, but being able to use a standard dialect in addition to one's home dialect is a social and economic asset. As you say, we can choose which form of English we want to use according to context.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.