Print Thread
#798328 12/30/12 10:08 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
From filling out 12 nonfiction book ISBNs on this site, cash 4 books, they only accepted one of the books I entered, for a cash price of $1.51.

It's an easy site to use (just fill in ISBNs), and they tell you right away what they are buying and not buying.

Other book selling options are at used book stores, on craigslist, amazon, ebay, and paperbackbookswap.com (where you don't get money, but you do get credits).

I'm going to try some fiction titles at cash4books next and see what I get.

Do you sell your books? Give them away? Keep them forever?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm going to pick a random used book right now, and track it, to see where I can get the most cash for it.

The book is: Creating Visual Experences with Flex 3.0. Published in 2009. ISBN: 9780321545374. It's in great shape. The retail price is $55 new.

Starting at Cash4books: they don't want it.

Next, I will check at Amazon: Used ones are selling for around a dollar (plus $4 shipping) and Amazon gets a cut of that.

eBay: These are selling for Like New condition for around $40-$60 with Buy It Now. Looking at Completed Listings, none of them seem to have sold, not even those listed at $6 or $10.

Craiglist: People usually sell individual books like this fr between $1-5.

Used bookstores: I'd be lucky to get a dollar or two in CREDIT.

Garage Sales: Under $1, maybe a high of a couple of bucks, since it is in great shape. In a ritzy neighborhood, I might be able to sell it for $5...or it might sit there untouched, in which case 50 cents is better than nothing.

It seems like eBay is the way to go with this book, although it doesn't seem to be selling at the moment. If I had an ongoing item selling business on ebay, it would be worth my time to list this and wait for a buyer.

As it is, I don't want to make an ebay listing right now since I will be traveling. If I wait, I'll probably never get to it, since I have hundreds of books I want to unload besides just the one. Also, a book of this type will become obsolete the longer I wait.

I am not having a garage sale anytime soon, and I don't want to mess with the marketplace on Amazon for the same reasons as with ebay. The best options for me are:

1. craigslist (this one might take some time, who knows)
or
2. bring it to a used bookstore (instant gratification, even if just for credit).

What would you do?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK, another place to sell books: Half.com. (owned by ebay for selling media items).

Like New condition books are around $12 - $60, while Very Good books sell for around a dollar. That is a huge price difference between what seems small variations of book quality.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I just noticed that Swagbucks has a book buy back program. I will look into it and report!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Jilly,
I have a closet full of books. This was before I started reading all my books on my ipad (ebooks). Since I love to read and I love books I am in the category of keeping books forever. smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
If you're looking for place to sell books quick and easy see my article Sell Old Books for Quick Cash.

I've compiled a list of 21 sites that will make an offer and buy books outright.

Last edited by Kim - OnlineServices; 01/12/13 07:34 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Also not mentioned, Amazon have a cash back program. You can advertise your book on Amazon and wait for a sale, or you can sell it directly to Amazon for instant cash or a credit in your account. this is particularly useful if you have a pile of books, then you send one shipment and the books are gone.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I used to keep books but now I'm moving toward digital and using the library.

Nearly all of my wonderful books were donated to teachers and libraries. I shared and gave away to individuals, too.

The ones I do keep are special to me in one way or another.

However, I went through a book selling kick. If you're into buying and reselling books, be sure to look on Amazon for books wanted. I happened across some really great historical books at garage sales and made huge profits. I bought them for .25 cents and sold them for $35. But this was luck mostly. It was fun for a while. It would be a fun little hobby, but I have too many already.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.