Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Everyone!

Yes I guess it is a busy time of the year, but there is always some time to sit and think about what needs to be done in your space as well as dream up a dream or two - then make that/those dream/s (or two) practical!

Have you started to think of some projects for your container garden for the new year yet ... or am I being a pestie lestie for asking too soon?

I have a couple of new ideas up my sleeve to share later - but what is on your 2013 dream to do list?

Say a say, I would love to hear and share an'all

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 12/06/12 03:01 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Lestie

I have a bunch (maybe a dozen or more) nice, big ceramic & clay pots I got from my brother (when he sold his home). I want to make probably a couple of different arrangements in front and backyards using the pots. It'll be much easier for me to manage than flower beds. I'm disabled and have limited mobility. I even had a funky looking pot that's made out of cement, about 2 feet tall and square but tapered (smaller at bottom than top).

Any ideas on how to arrange pots and themes? I like ALL kinds of plants but would like some things that are all year round (such as evergreens) as well as flowers.

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Good grief! I just noticed you are in South Africa! Ok, well I'm in the state of Oregon in the U.S.A. Right now we are in the "winter" season. Here we have lots of rain,temperatures in the 40 degrees fahrenheit, sometimes a little snow but it doesn't normally stay around, and we don't see sunshine until about April!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello SandraJ and Everybody!

Oh my SandraJ how time has just flown. I meant to answer your posts long before now - thanks for your visits!- and I am sorry that I haven't. Anyway, here we go.

Being in South Africa is a surprise as it is so far away from you there in Oregon ... (what city please tell), but imagination brings us as close as that cuppa coffee or tea you are going to have soonish and that's just fine for me. Knowing your city will help me learn more about your fab country but no matter if you don't want to say.

Also are you in a wheelchair and seated or can you walk with an aid ... and I am asking only to respond perhaps more clearly. Again, no matter but you can choose which plants and or ideas are more suitable. And as everything comes in threes! please describe all of your inherited containers so that I can match them up.

For now, what I will say is that containers are 'beings' in my life. This may sound funny, but I call them characters in a play I manage, and each of mine has a name. This is for several reasons but one is that my gardener and assistant forgets the names of the plants but not always their plantpot names.

He knows when to water Annie, how to care for her, when to give her food, when to trim and how to fuss when needed.

Annie is a beautiful very big (6 feet or so) Philodenron which is variously underplanted with begonias and mondo grass or spider plants or ivy. She is in a large semi-circle container around 5 feet in diameter and around 17 inches high - very heavy to move about so she is well placed and comfy and a really beautiful gal!

So on my 'to do' in the garden list that I follow (which comes from my garden notebook), when I say do such and such for Annie -he knows exactly where to go. Of course I do a lot myself, but there is so much to do in the garden that I could not keep up without his help.

Anyway SandraJ, will wait for your answer but will start to think of some ideas for you in the meantime. Still and all, even if some of your containers are plastic, PLEASE ensure they are completely clean from all previous plant material and old soil.

Scrub-Wash them out in strong white vinegar water, fill them with snow and leave them thus for a couple of days, then empty them, bring them inside or onto the stoep etc and see what you choose to do with them.

Next is to place the empty pots where they will look prettiest in shapes and sizes and colours and types. Play a little so that they each add to the other. Then tell me some favourites you have - plants, colours and all and all, and also if you want to grow edibles, herbs and vegetables or just flowers.

Cheers for now, will hear from you I am sure, ta

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 01/02/13 08:48 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I am going to try to grow some more potatoes in a container. I got a few last year, but I'll plant them earlier and water them more. That should help!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.