Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
"Mona, are you going to write about the [supposed] Mayan prophecy and the [supposed] end of the world in 2012?" I tended to say maybe, but I think I really meant NO all along.

It takes time to research and write an article. The idea is to explain what we currently understand about the topic, and the article should then be a reference for a long time. That makes it worth the time and effort.

I couldn't even began to say how silly (and contrived - some people are making money from it!) the whole doomsday business is. Here is a nice summary if you're interested: Beyond 2012 .

I'm a bit lazy and can't see myself explaining to BellaOnline readers why there isn't any evidence that the doomsday predictions are in any way likely. After all, any such article is going to be superfluous on December 22nd.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
laugh Mona, you crack me up! I am wholeheartedly in agreement with you.

I have been involved in many deep discussions about the 12/21/12 "prediction", have done endless research, read every thing I could find on the "end of the world" Mayan calendar thing and found absolutely no proof that the Mayans predicted the end of the world.

It is a fascinating subject to get involved in, though. Some articles go deeply into astronomical, astrological and mathematical theories and assumptions -- but, still, no proof.

Last edited by PhyllisFolkMythAppalachia; 12/04/12 08:10 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
PS: I even tried once to write an article on the subject and there are so many differing opinions and theories that it can boggle the mind to the point of mush.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Phil Plait ("Bad Astronomy" blog) was disgusted to find in the drugstore a magazine called Apocalyptic Prophecies with loads of 2012 nonsense in it. But then had a laugh when he saw the barcode and I did too:

As I mentioned, some people are real doomsday merchants!

(photo credit: Phil Plait)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Love that Mona, what a hoot.

Wonder how many folk bought the magazine, have spent a small fortune stocking up with heaven knows what to wait out the Apocalypse and, when they come to do their spring cleaning in March so throw away all the old newsprint, might then actually read the bar code.

Would love to be a fly on their wall. Or even a spider on the wall.....from what you tell us it sounds a much safer place for a spider to be than being launched into space.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
And if you haven't already seen this . . . .

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Good one Mona, Bizzaro always gets straight to the point and with a giggle! But my goodness weren't the Mayan people clever.

Here is a link to an article which has a great NASA - Welcome to 22nd December video that seems to have been released a little early.

It was scheduled to go out on the 22nd, and there is masses about the civilization as well as detailed explanation as to why NASA felt pretty confident we would all be here to see their video...........or maybe they were not confident at all so released so we could all have a chance to see it. confused

Now I am off to see if the cloud and rain have yet again made it impossible to see the Geminids.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think it would be good to post because I'm sure people ten years from now will wonder what all the insanity was about. Just like we do historic research now on the Y2K frenzy smile.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
That's an idea, Lisa. Perhaps I'll do it for my New Year article.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Had you made a post here Mona, or perhaps you were simply speechless. computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.