Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Lori-Dreams
This is an Italian version of Chinese Egg Drop Soup which uses chicken broth and beaten eggs. No cheese though. The Chinese don't have a lot of cheese as an ingredient in their cuisine. The Japanese have imported a lot of Western ingredients so they have more cheese in their dishes. I wonder if the lack of cheese and milk dishes is partly due to the high rates of lactose intolerance in Asians?

Lori, not sure about it. However, let me know what you think about this Roman soup once you try it.

Cinzia Aversa
Italian Food Editor
www.facebook.com/ItalianFoodBellaOnline
Also author of the eBook Simple Delicious Italian Recipes.

"Never cook as a chore or duty, or your food will taste like it" C.Aversa.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sorry for hijacking your thread with the Chinese stuff! frown

But I will definitely try the Roman version. It sounds rich and delicious.

And to loong: no apologies necessary, my friend! smile We're all in this together and I'm happy to learn from you!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
This soup sounds simple to make and delicious.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Koala
Koala
Dear Lorie dreams,

I knew I had read about the reluctance of chinese people to consume ,cows products.
Made some more research and here is what ,I came up with:
Source of info-Wikipedia.We were both right.

MilkChinese in earlier dynasties evidently drank milk and ate dairy products, although not necessarily from cows, but perhaps koumiss (fermented mare's milk) or goat's milk. After the Tang dynasty there emerged a line dividing Asia into two groups, those who depend on milk products (India, Tibet, Central Asians) and those who reject those foods. Chinese depend on soy, as more efficient way of supporting density, and to differentiate themselves from border nomads. Most Chinese until recently have avoided milk, partly because pasturage for milk producers in a monsoon rice ecology is not economic, partly because milk products became negatively associated with horse riding, milk drinking nomadic tribes. There may even be a biological bias. A certain number of people in any ethnic group are lactose intolerant. In addition, human beings, like other mammals, after they are weaned, stop producing lactase enzymes (needed to digest milk) unless they drink milk. Lactose intolerance, then, is partly cultural, partly biological.[12]

But this non-dairy tradition has undergone some change as a result of changing perceptions and valuation of global influences. For example, it has been suggested that, in the early 20th century Shanghai, �Western food, and in particular identifiably nourishing items like milk, became a symbol of a neo-traditional Chinese notion of family.�[13]

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: loongdragon
Dear Lorie dreams,

I knew I had read about the reluctance of chinese people to consume ,cows products.
Made some more research and here is what ,I came up with:
Source of info-Wikipedia.We were both right.

MilkChinese in earlier dynasties evidently drank milk and ate dairy products, although not necessarily from cows, but perhaps koumiss (fermented mare's milk) or goat's milk. After the Tang dynasty there emerged a line dividing Asia into two groups, those who depend on milk products (India, Tibet, Central Asians) and those who reject those foods. Chinese depend on soy, as more efficient way of supporting density, and to differentiate themselves from border nomads. Most Chinese until recently have avoided milk, partly because pasturage for milk producers in a monsoon rice ecology is not economic, partly because milk products became negatively associated with horse riding, milk drinking nomadic tribes. There may even be a biological bias. A certain number of people in any ethnic group are lactose intolerant. In addition, human beings, like other mammals, after they are weaned, stop producing lactase enzymes (needed to digest milk) unless they drink milk. Lactose intolerance, then, is partly cultural, partly biological.[12]

But this non-dairy tradition has undergone some change as a result of changing perceptions and valuation of global influences. For example, it has been suggested that, in the early 20th century Shanghai, �Western food, and in particular identifiably nourishing items like milk, became a symbol of a neo-traditional Chinese notion of family.�[13]

loong

Loong,

I am sure we all feel better now that we have the true data on this. Have you had time to try my ROMAN EGG SOUP recipe my dear? It is very good

Next time, let's try to stay on track a bit more. I would like to remind you that this is after all the ITALIAN FOOD Forum.

Grazie e ciao! wink

Last edited by Cinzia - Italian Food; 11/13/12 08:46 PM.

Cinzia Aversa
Italian Food Editor

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I greatly prefer your lovely Italian recipes on this forum over force-fed Wikipedia script, Cinzia. Your authentic recipes are so much more pleasurable, and delicious to boot!

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
LOL. Thank you very much for the interesting information, loong. I suppose if you'd like to continue discussing Chinese food, we could move this topic over to the Chinese Food forum! smile

Sorry for derailing your forum, Cinzia! And I have tried your soup and it is very rich and delicious and different from that either the Greek or Chinese form of egg drop soup. The Parmesan cheese is the difference!

I'm excited because it is a nourishing yet simple, quick, easy and *economical* soup to whip up in a flash. I can't wait to try it with beef broth instead of chicken. Maybe Connie, Sandwiches editor, can link to this soup recipe. It would go perfectly with some of her sandwich recipes.

Thanks again for this delightful recipe!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Lori-Dreams
LOL. Thank you very much for the interesting information, loong. I suppose if you'd like to continue discussing Chinese food, we could move this topic over to the Chinese Food forum! smile

Sorry for derailing your forum, Cinzia! And I have tried your soup and it is very rich and delicious and different from that either the Greek or Chinese form of egg drop soup. The Parmesan cheese is the difference!

I'm excited because it is a nourishing yet simple, quick, easy and *economical* soup to whip up in a flash. I can't wait to try it with beef broth instead of chicken. Maybe Connie, Sandwiches editor, can link to this soup recipe. It would go perfectly with some of her sandwich recipes.

Thanks again for this delightful recipe!

You are more than very welcome! smile

Cinzia Aversa
Italian Food Editor

Koala
Koala
Dear Cinzia,

All I did was to respond to a post by another member about chinese food.
I regret if I in some way, disturbed you,and your group.

It will never happen again.

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: loongdragon
Dear Cinzia,

All I did was to respond to a post by another member about chinese food.
I regret if I in some way, disturbed you,and your group.

It will never happen again.

loong

Loong,

by the power invested in me by the Gods of Italian cookery, you are forgiven! Ciao! wink

Last edited by Cinzia - Italian Food; 11/14/12 10:27 PM.

Cinzia Aversa
Italian Food Editor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cinzia - Italian Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.