Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SandraJ Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Lisa & everyone, I thought I'd start a new discussion since I have so many questions about Judaism. I enjoy "chatting" like this instead of reading a book about a subject. Lisa, you should be a teacher! You give such clear and uncomplicated answers. Why did the Jewish people not rebuild the temple after it was destroyed? Not necessarily at the same spot because wasn't something else built over it? I should look up the history about this since I know so little. That brings me to another question...Even though I'd rather ask questions 'person to person,' does anyone have a recommendation for books for me to read about the Jewish people, their history and traditions? A book that is not too detailed (I'd like the overall, general framework right now). A book that is written for those of us who are not Jewish, so we can learn about Judaism.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Thank you, Sandra, for your kind words.

The question you ask is a complex one, but I will try to answer it simply.

First of all, for political and safety reasons - it is impossible to rebuild the Temple today. The Jewish people do not have control over the Temple Mount - and to take control of it would be to destroy another people's holy place.

Second, people today would not be permitted to enter the most Holy of Holies place. We are ritually impure and do not have the means to achieve higher purity status. We are also not in the proper state to have the Temple rebuilt - meaning we are "not doing things properly". It is said that if every Jewish person would observe Shabbat, the Messiah would come and the Temple would be rebuilt. But, many of us are not living according to G-d's ways.

There are many other 'necessary items' (ritual objects, for example) that we no longer have in our possession or know how to perfectly define or recreate them.

Furthermore, I believe that the Holy Temple cannot be rebuilt until all the Jewish people have returned to the Land of Israel.

When Messiah comes, the Temple will be rebuilt.

I know that many people who are just beginning with Jewish learning read books by Dennis Prager. He has several books, and I do not know a specific one to recommend but I think you can select one by looking at the titles.

Hayim Donin also has a book How To Be A Jew that may be a more traditional and halachic (Jewish law) read than a Dennis Prager book.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.