Next Thread
Print Thread
#786289 10/04/12 05:38 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Improperly cooked eggs can raise the danger of salmonella poisoning. What is salmonella, why is it found in eggs, and how can you minimize the risks?

Eggs and Salmonella

Do you worry about salmonella when you eat eggs?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I was never a fan of runny yolks so luckily I do eat all my eggs thoroughly cooked.

That being said, I grew up eating cookie dough while I was making it. I'd always have a few spoonfuls of the chocolate chip cookies in pre-cooked state. It never occurred to me that this was anything but tasty. And the same thing with raw cake mix. But I don't make either any more, so I'm safe there.

Do you guys eat eggs with runny yolks, or eat the dough or raw stage of things you're cooking?

Low Carb Forum
A
A
Runny eggs have nothing to do with it. Salmonella is a bacteria commonly associated with fowl. You can eat raw eggs all day long if they are properly cleaned (we're talking about the shells). You are much more likely to get salmonella off a low rent chicken shack or your own cutting board. Since it is a bacteria there is no cure. Starving it is the only option. ---- and Yes,Ive had it.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Allen68 -

While most salmonella does come from outside the chicken, and therefore can be on the shell, some salmonella comes from *within* the chicken. If a chicken is infected with salmonella, it then makes an egg with salmonella in it.

So there is no sure-fire way to eat raw egg and know it is 100% free of salmonella.

Definitely washing the eggs and using proper hygiene is an important step!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
That's what I thought but apparently I had outdated information. Better to be safe than sorry but I truly believe I must have built up an immunity. Can one build up an immunity? Because I love to eat runny yolks.

There are many classic dishes that use runny or raw eggs. A true Caesar Salad dressing. The original Mousse au Chocolate (chocolate mousse). I have a fantastic recipe for Creamed Bananas that whips together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolks and you fold in sliced fresh bananas and top with shaved chocolate. It is like a fresh and fluffy cheesecake in a pudding cup. I haven't made it for a long time.

Gosh, do you recall the health craze of the 70-80's when people would drink glasses of raw eggs a la Rocky Balboa?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Lori -

Too, it's a matter of probability. I love eating sushi. There's ALL sorts of things you can get from eating raw fish. I don't care, I like sushi. If I get something, I'll deal with it and heal up and life will go on. We can't worry about every little thing that might hurt us.

If we did, none of us would ever get into a car smile.

Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
I do not know if it is different in Canada or not but generally if you are using Grade A approved eggs there should not be a risk of salmonella poisoning.

I had severe salmonella poisoning about twenty years ago (along with 30 other people) when an anniversary cake's icing was made with low grade eggs. I was so sick I seriously wanted to die and be done with it. It had gotten so bad that I was sleeping sitting up on the toilet. It was about ten to twelve days before I could leave home.

It was a huge outbreak that got public health involved and I would not wish it on anyone.

That being said. I have no fear of eating a teaspoon of cookie dough or a poached egg that is slightly runny.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Moe -

The grade of an egg is an evaluation of the visuals of the egg - its color, shape, and amount of air. So it's not really any judgement of the quality of the henhouse or the health of the hens. This page is from Canada -

Canada Egg Quality

So there could still be a risk of salmonella, both from outside the egg and from a hen that is sick.

I agree with you that there's only so much one could worry about smile. I used to eat a lot of raw cookie dough!

I'm so sorry to hear about your poisoning! That sounds really rough!

Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.