logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Do you watch any reality TV with plus size people? How are they portrayed? Do you like any of them? I am not talking weight-loss shows particular, just reality shows in general.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
The only reality show we watch is the Biggest Loser so I suppose one could say that it's all plus sized people. I think they are treated with respect and encouraged to feel happy at whatever size they are at.

That being said, the thrust of the show is to lose weight, so while the mentors are enthusiastic about everyone being happy "now", the participants are also going in with the mindset that they want to be a lighter weight.

Most of them are doing it for serious health reasons, though, not to "look prettier". A good portion of them are facing high risk of serious medical complications or death by the time they get to the show.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
There are usually a couple of gals on America's Top Model that are called plus-sized.

In ANTM modeling terms, plus-sized actually means 'normal sized' or curvy, like anything from a size 6 to 12. It sets up interesting expectations.

A size 10 girl won once, in Cycle 10. But usually the 'plus' girls have trouble embracing their curves and don't make it very far.

If girls are found to have eating disorders, though, they are kicked off the show to go get help.

In non-model clothes, I believe plus doesn't actually start until size 14?

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
You are right Jilly there is a difference in sizing when it comes to plus size.

In the plus size world of fashion and modeling they have full-figure models which range from size 8 to 12 (sometimes 14 depending on the model).

But in clothing, plus sizes start at 14 although some shops/designers will try to sneak in a size 12 to open up interest in the product.

Last edited by M o e; 10/17/12 03:00 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tyra calls her 'plus' sized models "fiercely real' girls. What do you think of that term? Just curious.

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I think all girls/women are real no matter what their size.

N
N
Right now the only reality shows I watch without missing an episode are all the Gordon Ramsay shows and the only time the weight of people are in question is on Hell's Kitchen and it is because they move slower in the kitchen so not able to keep up. Pawn Stars is the other reality show I watch often and sometimes I saw episodes of them talking about their weight and a few were with them or some of them trying to lose weight which was a good thing because it was for their health. I cannot think of another reality show I watch right now. I used to watch America's Next Top Model (stopped when i saw a preview of them the next week swimming with dolphins) and I remember one who gained weight a lot during the show and she had to be finally talked about that during a panel (that was when they went to Africa - i think by then there were like 4 remaining), she was shown the before and after photoshopping and how much it cost (or Tyra just said that it cost a lot), the worst with her is that she kept saying she had to stop eating so much and then she would get up and get more food (before the big photo shoot there she like got yogurt or something else healthy then she got up at least once to get fatty food - i remember all the other girls looking at each others and her like what the hell - it was really ridiculous). Oh and I just remember having watched at least two episodes of really obese people before, during and after their surgery (i got fed up with it and did not watch the other episodes).

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.