#786853 10/09/12 12:26 PM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
S
Hi: what do you think about that K12 online learning program? My son is too young to home school yet (would love to, but probably can't since I work) but I was wondering about that program I've seen advertised.

Stacy

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I currently use K12 for my son. He has always loved learning and has already moved on to 1st grade curriculum through K12, even though he is technically a Kindergartener. What questions did you have?

Megan Faulkner
Attachment Parenting
S
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
S
When did you start? My son is in pre-school, but he's a fast learner, so I want to keep him challenged.

Can you pick and choose courses to supplement or is it a set curriculum? I work so home-schooling full-time is probably out for us, but I'd like to add courses that fill in what he doesn't get or alternatively challenge him above his grade level.

That was the same situation that we were in. I had thought about starting him a year early, but then we would have had to buy the curriculum. There are different ways you could do K12. We do the online public school option. We do not get to pick out our curriculum, but it is free. They send us everything we need for the entire school year and if they advance a grade, at any time during the year, they send you the next set of material. There is also the option to buy the curriculum as an individual and I think there is also a private school option. Buying your own curriculum would allow you to select which courses you want and omit others, but it is not free. You would have to buy each class you want. I am not sure on the prices, but I know the information is available on their website. Some school districts offer the option of doing half-public school and half-homeschool, but you would need to talk to your specific school district about that.

Megan Faulkner
Attachment Parenting
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Many homeschool parents like the K12 programs for their state. Other parents love choosing a curriculum and implementing it at home. It is wonderful that we have so many options! I agree with Megan, each district offers a specific learn at home program with guidelines. smile

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
L
L
We also use K12 and have since 2001. My 2 children are now with CAVA (California Virtual Academy) which is one of the Virtual Academies which use the K12 Curriculum. They are both in Highschool and doing awesome. We used the curriculum when they were just beginning school as Direct Consumers (meaning we purchased the curriculum and used it as our choice of curriculum when homeschooling in Mississippi.) When we moved to Wisconsin and the kids were starting middle school I knew I needed more help from a great team of teachers. We loved WIVA (Wisconsin Virtual Academy). The reason I chose enrolling them in that Virtual Academy was because it used the K12 curriculum. Then 4 years ago we moved to California. It was a no-brainer to enroll them in CAVA where my eldest will graduate this spring. Even if you can not homeschool full-time, the curriculum would be great as a supplement. You might even want to do a subject or 2 in the summer. Keep your eyes open as there are always ideas of how to do this for parents who do work full-time. Good luck!

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Thanks for your input, Loria!

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.