Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

It's called "Oktoberfest", although most of it takes place in September, an "Angel" on hiatus from heaven attends every year and regularly ends up covered in beer soaked clothes, while Playboy magazine features an "Oktoberfest Playmate", who has also to be the ultimate advertizement for looking good in a Dirdnl.

Some of the lesser known facts about Munich's Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest in Munich � Fun Facts

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Francine,

Even for a non-beer drinker, I found your article to be extremely quenching, culturally Oktoberfest-wise.

Applying the culinary adage that "a pint is a pound the world around," then to carry 12 mass would be 24# of liquid alone- a pretty hefty balancing act!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thanks Les, glad you enjoyed it. Does this mean you do not drink Mexico's famous beer? It is a trendy drink for the "young at heart" in Germany, and costs a small fortune.

Had never heard about "a pint is a pound the world around" before, so that is one less need for a conversion chart, but as for the carrying of 12 Mass at one time there is a new graphic in the article for you to check out. smile

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Francine,

Es verdad. I am such a non-drinker,especially beer, that while in Mexico these almost 6 years have never tasted the likes of Dos Equis, Tecate, Modelo Especial, Corona or...

However, not that I have had any in a couple or so years, I do have a liking for rompope, which is Mexico's equivalent of egg nog that comes in multiple flavors. Should do an article on it as it has an interesting history as I believe it was first made by nuns (and is still today which caused the disdain of some birders that I was traveling with in Oaxaca last January) in the early colonial days. Might hold off on that article until I go to Mazamitla, Jalisco in January or February as that Alpine town is famous for producing it in a multiplicity of flavors.

As for a "pint is a pound," that was a lesson I learned during my first baking class in culinary school. It pretty much holds true except for liquids high in viscosity like maple syrup.

Thanks Francine. That is a really neat graphic of twelve Mass being served, particularly from that angle.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
"O'zapft is", Francine! Very enjoyable article -- makes me want to fly over there and become part of the festivities. What a great way to celebrate this special time of the year.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes it is fun and in a way still very rural Phyllis, with a "Country Fair" atmosphere, especially as so many wear the traditional Bavarian "Tracht", dirndls and lederhosen.

On the festival calendar Oktoberfest has really developed into what could be described as a sort of "super noisy harvest festival".

It has a reputation as a beer drinkers dream, which I suppose it is in a way, but that is only a small part of it, definitely not what it is all about, and you would certainly get into the swing of things pretty quickly. smile

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 09/22/12 12:19 PM.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
In M�nchen steht ein Hofbr�uhaus � oans, zwoa, g'suffa!�

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Here you go Dave, now you can sing along with "oans, zwoa, g'suffa!", bring back memories, and imagine you are over here enjoying a Mass.....or just the view! cool

Oktoberfest Song Prosit Karaoke

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.