logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I lived up in Northern MN in a little house overlooking a lake. My land was attached to the Chippewa National Forest. The first day I spent there I saw a Bald Eagle fly overhead and land in a white pine tree right next to the house. It was amazing living there. My children and I walked through the forest constantly. We saw all kinds of animals including bear and cubs. I remember one time walking up a dirt trail and then hearing something behind me. After we sent by, a mama bear and her cubs crossed over the path. She had waited for us to pass by. We had a mutual respect between us and the animals. I walked down into a ravine with a small lake, it was packed with foliage. I made it through and found myself in the middle of a bunch of white-tailed deer (seven or so. They aren't really a herd animal). Imagine their surprise to have a human so close!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
My wife and I love it here and our next stop is going to be the nursing home. I will try to put a few photos of the place on our web site. Virginia maintains a beautiful flower garden (in the front) and a vegetable garden (in the back). Keeping the mule deer out is a challenge so we have gates and fences all over. We have one neighborhood mountain lion, but she is not a problem to anyone but the deer, as the deer are her gourmet diet of choice - and the deer here are overpopulating. The several bears are quite mellow. There are a lot of local bird photos on our neighborhood website (www.myspringvalley.org), the the most noticeable birds (due to their size and vocalizations) are the ravens (large crows) and the lark buntings (Colorado's state bird). The ravens and the lark buntings do not socialize with one another, but don't bother eachother, either. The lark buntings that are local are large and very highly colored as these birds go - black with white and bright green feathers. In all these surroundings, I could never live in an urban or suburban area again. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
It sounds so beautiful! We have a bird here a Grackle those little monsters chase the squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, other birds. Something is destroying Robbin eggs. Not sure if that is the grackles or not. I remember my mother talking about butcher birds but this was in CA. We had mountain lions in Northern Minnesota too. Beauitful animals!

M
M
When I lived in South Georgia I remember some aggressive small birds that would dive upon unsuspecting dogs, cats, and humans, occasionally tearing out the eye of a dog or cat (which would be reported in the news). Fortunately, none of these aggressors live here, although the owls at night occasionally raise eerie calls and the coyotes, whan they get a chorus together can rock the rafters. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I WOULD love to hear a chorus between the owls and coyotes that would rock the rafters!! The most I hear near my home is Bart owls. It is a different story when we get out in the rural area camping. Then I can pick out sounds all night. Just love it!!!

M
M
When I used to stay over at the wolf rescue, of the 40 or so wolves who lived there at the time, there were two "kapellmeisters" who would start the chorus and all 40 would chime in and let loose for five minutes or so. The coyotes here are similar except their voices are higher pitched and they tend to "yip" a lot, nowhere near as musically disciplined as the wolves. The owls are another matter here, as there are so any hoots and calls I have difficulty figuring out whoo is whoo. As far as I know, we have barred owls, long eared owls, at least two short eared owls, and a chorus of boreal owls. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've had parakeets, Bourke parakeetes, a cockatiel and conures. I've been acquanted with many other parrots as well. If I had to pick a pet bird again, it might be a cockatiel.

Mostly, I think I'm too old for a large parrot that might outlive me and a cockatiel has the right temperment, is beautiful, can talk, is friendly, and may live as long as a cat.

I miss the cockatiel we used to have and was quite fond of it after we adopted it...even though she took to my husband right away. I remember the parakeet who loved her as well. He was smitten with her. It was so weird.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I think the cockatiel is pretty darn special too. Plus everything you mentioned Vi they also sing a pretty nice tune. They have such sweet personalities.

OK fine readers, what birds do you have, or what would be your favorite choice?

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
What would be your first choice of pet bird? Would it be a macaw, lovebird or?????

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Another of my favorite birds from the parrot family would be the cockatoo. Their social needs are great, they are highly social, very sensitive, and loving birds. What are your favorites?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.