T

Theresa Faulkner
Atheist/Agnostic Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I have read your article and it was amazing. I liked your article very much. Thanks for sharing it with us.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I am Christian and I believe that religion and government should be kept separate. I do not believe that they really have anything to do with each other and everyone has a right to their personal choices. As much as the founding fathers formed this country under God, and I don't mind hearing it once in a while, I still think that governmental laws should not be tied to any one religion. The U.S. is a free country welcoming all belief systems, and that is something that should be respected.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
For examples of what happens when you go to what are basicly, theocracies, you can get an idea from this article . Religion - as opposed to spritualty - has been used as a form of mass social control for millennia and today seems to be making something of a comeback in Western culture frown

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thomas Jefferson was a church goer, and is well remembered for wanting a "high wall" between church and government. The separation of church and state idea in western culture is often traced back to a bishop, Thomas Beckett, who had a conflict with Henry II and this led to what is credited in history books as being the beginning of separation between church and state. The end result was government officials slaying Beckett over the altar of the church he presided. Beckett was remembered a martyr, and pilgrimages to his church in Canterbury are still practiced by Christians to this day. Separation of church and state was originally promoted by Christians who recognized that spirituality doesn't flourish when handled by the government.

Regardless of how long this ideal has been part of American history, there is no denying the fear mongering, the feeding of egos, or the sense by a few who believe that the US should be a new Israel or some other idea that is basically the same has been a part of our history and is definitely part of the current election rhetoric.

I identify my spiritual path as Christian. I find it sad that when some individuals have to insist that everyone share their viewpoint and conform to their very small worldview, the whole group often gets blamed. Sadly, humans do this with religion and other causes. Extreme Nationalism is just as cultish as intolerant religious groups. The problem is bigger than religion, it is that we as humans need to confront our own fears of what is different and find ways to accept others. Religion is just one example of how this behavior shows up in politics.

Whatever people care deeply about, whatever they are insecure about, can be exploited by someone to gain power. Rather, we the people should be stopping to think about our own fears and why anyone would want to control another's free will, and then look for government officials who represent all of us for a safer, equitable and just society.

I am glad the OP opened this topic for discussion, because it REALLY needs discussed this election. Much of the talk from candidates does seem focused on gaining votes from those who are afraid rather than those who want to look at the real issues that our society is facing.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.