Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
Quadira Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Q
There are so many gizmos and gadgets on the market to make our cooking experience "easier"; however, some of them seem very superfluous to me. Do you really need a specially shaped knife to slice tomatoes and transform them to a bowl? How about a peach pitter, an avocado cuber, or a pineapple corer/slicer??

If you were only able to have six kitchen utensils, which ones would they be? What could you not live without?

Here are my choices, and why. I invite you to share your essential six; try to choose tools that can do multiple-duty. (Knives will be covered in the next series topic.) Tell us why they're your favorites!

1) Wire whisk, full or flat. A whisk is also great for blending dry ingredients when you bake; it can also be used to whip cream, beat egg whites, blend liquids into dry ingredients, make a smooth gravy, even to combine sugar syrup with egg yolks for buttercream frosting.

2) Rubber scraper. A rubber scraper is useful for scraping batter out of a bowl, stirring when you cook, folding beaten egg whites into batter, and for getting the last bits of mayonnaise or jam out of a jar.

3) Wedge-shaped metal cheese knife. (Not the wire kind.) Works also to serve pie, or as a substitute spatula.

4) Square cheese grater. Use it to grate cheese, shred ginger or cabbage, zest an orange or lemon, and use the finest side to grate whole nutmeg.

5) Potato masher. This can also be used to puree cooked apples or other soft fruit or vegetable.

6) Long-handled wooden spoon. Not sure I could manage without one of these! No unique uses for one, just an essential.

A logical question would be, why didn't I list a rolling pin, or a strainer, or any stirring or slotted spoons? Well, of course I love those tools, and use them regularly. However, in a pinch one can roll pastry with a clean bottle; you can drain water out of a pot of pasta simply by holding the lid so it's open just a crack while you pour; and a wooden spoon or a table soup spoon can be employed to stir or serve with.

I'd love to hear from as many of you as possible!

Caitlin McLeod
Home
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
lol..love the you can roll pastry with a clean bottle. One rainy day at our beach house I decided to make chicken and dumplings. Made the chicken stock and was like oh no I don't have a rolling pin here. I used a clean glass bottle to roll the dumplings. Worked beautifully. Never did buy a rolling pin for the beach house kitchen.
Sundancer
Embroidery Fashions Boutique

H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
I love my wire whisk, rubber scraper, and long-handled spoons. But my other three would be a spatula, can opener, and wine bottle opener!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I bought a cheese grater for the RV because it was long and skinny like a rasp but with larger slicers. It's the best grater ever and I use it in the house all the time. It says microplane on the handle.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Okay, so not including knives:

can opener
wine opener
metal spatula
wooden spoon
ladle
metal tongs

I'd also include a ceramic mortar and pestle if i could, and an acoustic hand blender instead of a whisk.

Q
Quadira Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Q
Oooh, yes, I forgot about a can opener! Guess I need 7 tools, not counting knives! Or maybe I'd omit the masher in favor of the can opener. Hmmm.

I would never damage my knife tips by trying to open cans with them! I've seen that happen. Knives are way too costly!

Caitlin McLeod
Home

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.