Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#767477 06/10/12 06:17 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
So, what are some of the most extreme things you've done to be frugal? Share the crazy love here.

Um...i do a whole lot of crazy frugal things. I'll start by saying I reuse all the envelopes I get in bills in the mail. I just sharpie over their info and put on mine. I never have to buy envelopes. (Just like I don't buy trash bags and use all the grocery store bags).

I also keep all my twist ties in an empty prescription container, and my plastic bread ties have their own container too.

Cottonballs from vitamins go right to my cottonball holder in the bathroom, and i put all dessicant packets i see inside misc products to use in various drawers and other places I don't want humidity.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I reuse plastic toothpicks forever - I clean them with toothpaste.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Awesome, Susan! At least yours will be clean and nice smelling! smile

Another confession: I reuse dry cat food bags. The big ones, esp. I line trash cans with them, use them as sacks for mulch when gardening, use them to put recyclables in and even for hauling things like books around - they are very sturdy and don't blow out on the bottom with heavy or bulky stuff.

I don't spend money on large trash bags, but i do go through one or two large cat kibble bags a month, so they get well-used. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Jilly, reusing the cat kibble sacks is a great idea. I will start reusing mine!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
A new confession. I pick up the free stuff at the drugstores (it's all in the circulars) even if i don't want the item in question. I figure I can use it as a barter item if the zombie apocalypse comes.

[hangs head in shame]

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
extreme confession of the day: when i use cottonballs to cleanse my face, i give them one more use in cleaning around my ears. Then I drop them in my kitchen compost bucket to take out to the compost pile the next day.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have a friend who goes through prescription containers like candy. She throws them away! This really bugs me; when people throw away recyclables. So last time i was at her house I asked her if i could have them. She had about six empties for me.

I added them to my pile. I use these jars for things all the time.

I'm thinking of leaving a special bin at her place for her to save these for me. I hope i do it. I have to find a container that she won't mind looking at.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
There were a lot of things left behind when we moved into our house, including gardening gloves. There must have been about half a dozen pair with duct tape on some or all of the fingers. After buying a new pair and having them worn out in a week, I saw why she did it.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
These are some great conversations Jilly!

Where I'm at, it's like a fence. Just where I happened to end up. One foot dangling amongst "entitlement" people. The other on just the opposite side of the fence, dangling amongst wealth, "producers" but to an extreme effect. They're still not quite getting the bigger picture.

These conversations, the way you're doing is, is spot on! Masters of the trade and builders! People that follow end up being the winners, succeeding both financially as well as Soulful, in Spirit. Not to mention the wealth of information gained, going through it which could easily be endorsed as a book smile

Me, I use and reuse just about everything. Those nets onions and oranges come in, I ball them up and use them as scratchless scouring pads. Eggs, when I buy them, I get only the cardboard containers and use them as seedling starting containers that can go right into the ground and further compost which feeds the plant as well.

Produce, say I need some green onions. I cut off the bottoms (the roots) and plant them in some potting soil. They make real onions if you let them grow long enough. I can't remember the last time I purchased onions. If you catch them early on, you can use the early sprouts as chives.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm going to use that bread tie in the pill bottle idea. Those ties end up all over the place but magically disappear whenever I need them.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.