logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#645311 11/25/10 09:34 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Do you think etiquette is important in these days and times?

And by this I mean, folks are on the move 90 percent of their day - who has the time to say for example to sit down and have those "famous" dinners - yes, the ones where you need a degree to figure out which of the 7 spoons are to be used first, then second and so on (lol).

To be honest, as much as I hate dinners like that - I MARVEL at the TV shows that contain them. The table is AWESOME!!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley

Do you think etiquette is important in these days and times?

And by this I mean, folks are on the move 90 percent of their day - who has the time to say for example to sit down and have those "famous" dinners - yes, the ones where you need a degree to figure out which of the 7 spoons are to be used first, then second and so on (lol).

To be honest, as much as I hate dinners like that - I MARVEL at the TV shows that contain them. The table is AWESOME!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
With respect to forks and knives and demitasse, etc., that's just Schematics. True etiquette where please, thank you, eye contact, smiling at others, encouragement and consideration is always important and will never go out of style.

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Not only is the arrangement of silverware mere schematics, one doesn't actually need a degree to figure it out.

Here is the long form: From the outside in.

This is a course of study one should be able to complete in a year or less.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Etiquette evolved as a form of communication. First of all as a way of showing intent then, later, social status. In parts of the Orient elaborate etiquette was also a way of keeping minor nobility busy learning elaborate social skills that ate into their plotting against the reagent time. Also it thinned out warfare between neighbouring territories.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Interesting, Ian! Fascinating, actually.

Today, I opt for courtesy over etiquette. Social "rules", devised by those who want to feel superior than the lower classes, bite the big one. Spoons, etc., are designed for specific purposes and, hence, learning which is for which function is fine by me. But any sort of meaningless ritual-like table protocol...why?

Better to expend common courtesy that springs from respect for the other person.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Well, I suppose you just told me why, Ian! LOL.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
There's some lovely send-ups of etiquette in the Terry Prattchet book Hogfather smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.