Next Thread
Print Thread
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have to stop picking up fans. I am all worried about the heat of this coming summer, and trying to not use the AC. So i poked around my shed for fans and then even picked up a few i saw on sale. And now, yes, i have a plethora of them.

A big goal of mine is to use as little watts as possible and get my electric bill to as minimal a fee as can be done.

I am told that if i unplug my house entirely, the bill (with the service fee and taxes) will be $10 a month. I am excited to see what my bill will be for this month, since this is the first month I am living here without Dan. I expect it to be lower than our low of 400 kWh together. Anyway, I will see soon.

So, fans I have:
large box fan - 132 w
small black turbo-type fan - 96 w
sm white window fan - 66 w
tiny black table fan - 36 w
Sm white table fan - 15 w (picked this one up from a thrift store today when I saw it was only 15 watts...yay!)
And I have a tiny green USB fan that uses only 2.5 w

Yes, 2.5. That's pretty insane. USB devices are very very efficient with wattage.

What I am thinking is to use only the smallest amount of watts i need for any one time. Right now my 2.5 watt USB fan is more than enough. If there was a lower setting i'd use that. If it was warmer, I'd aim the USB fan at my face and put the white 15 w one in the window. The total watts for BOTH fans would be 17.5 watts, which is cheaper than using the tiny black fan alone at 36w.

And so on. I could just leapfrog the fans up and down my studio. Even if i had them all running at once, for some reason, that's a total of 281.5 watts in use. From six fans!

Compare the 281.5 watts with using my AC unit at 1500 watts. The AC unit also have a starting surge of between 2000-5000 watts (I need to look at the device to see for sure).

So, even discounting the massive start surge, running six fans (two of which are quite powerful), I have a savings of 1218.5 watts!

Read that again. That's really amazing.

Am I a total geek, or is this so very cool? (har, har, no pun intended) smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Do you all know how to check your fans for watts? Lift up the bottom (or sometimes the sticker is on the back). There will be some technical information on either a sticker or imprinted into the plastic. Look for something that says a number with watts, like 48w. Or it might give a number in kilowatts like 4.8kw. Sometimes it gives amps = 7a.

To convert amps to watts just multiply the number by 120. To get watts from kilowats, remember that a kw is 1000 watts.

Anyone have a fan to look at? I am curious 'watt' other people are using. (you may groan at my pun now)

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Has anyone looked at the watt number printed on their fans?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm doing really well with my fans. It's good to have an assortment of watts to play with and fan sizes. At this time the fans are supplementing my small window AC unit, which i keep on low.

If i have a fan blowing on me, i feel plenty cool and don't need to keep turning down the AC. So the fan i use is 15 watts, plus the ac on low is 270 watts. That comes out much better than no fan and using the AC on high (which would be 500 watts).

It makes me use my brain. But then i get these awesome $5 electric bills and that's the big reward. laugh

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.