Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 102 103
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I think so too! And it teaches the kids how to watch their money. I remember the look on my daughter's face when one day she had $60 to spend (she'd earned it the old fashioned way - by working for it). Then she decided she wanted some hair bobbles or something. The cashier rang up $40.

Another time she was shopping at her favorite store in the mall - and I had her brother take her over their while I hung out in Barnes and Noble. He called me to tell me she'd gone $12 over what she had. I just had to laugh... I told him to tell her she just needed to put something back. She was really expecting me to come bail her out with an extra $12.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
hehehe, from the magic money fountain.

It's good that she is seeing firsthand how quickly expenses rack up.

Also, bookstore, huh? Those are evil places for my wallet... smile

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Jilly....I don't have a choice but to be frugal and to only buy absolute necessities due to being unemployed and looking for work. My unemployment compensation has long run out, so every penny counts these days.

I love your money saving tips on this forum!

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Debbie, I've talked to a lot of people about frugality, and I do try to tell them that being frugal is actually kind of fun. It's like a game for me, to decrease my expenses to the lowest possible point, and still have plenty to live on. It's a mindset.

I know your situation isn't exactly fun for you, but it's great experience for when you are working and want to SAVE money in case another bad situation arises.

I hope you find a job soon! Looking and interviewing and waiting is no fun at all.

I'm glad you like my tips! I do think some people might see some of my advice as extreme, but anyone can certainly read what I offer and then dial it back a bit.

I do have an example to set, after all. smile

------

Yesterday i got a free dinner at my Getting Ahead workshop (and I actually get paid $10 to go to each class!) and also exchanged some of my books for 'new' books at the used bookstore. I love new used books!

I did have to drive to Cottonwood, but i carpooled with a friend who gave me three dollars for gas.

I have to admit i did buy an expensive craft draft beer at a local bar after class. One pint came to $6.45! Yikes!

I should stick to my $1.50 beers in my hometown pub. smile

Today: no expenses. YAY!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, no expenses today. How are you doing this weekend?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zero expenses today. Weekends are too easy. smile

This week i will be spending money on gas for the car, and my mortgage and utility bills.

I will also need to pick up cat food again this week - they go through it so fast! Not to mention the ferals that come through the cat door and eat it too. I try to look the other way. I am a sucker like that. Don't they know how limited my means are? wink

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Picked up milk and found out that frozen bagged veggies were on sale so I got some of those too.

Went to the dollar store after that and picked up a picture frame and a pack of three toothbrushes. Also got a greeting card there for 50 cents. Spent only $2.50 plus tax in that store.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
debbie, that's a great inexpensive day. i LOVE the dollar store. It almost feels like not shopping at all, or like you aren't using real money. It's a giddy feeling! But for reals, if I keep tossing everything I like into a basket, it does add up, doesn't it? I have to keep reminding myself to put things back!

I went to a dollar store today, and to a thrift store that was having a 50% off sale.

At thrift store
.25 staple opener + misc folder clips
.50 ace bandage, lg, for first aid kit
1.00 vintage black enamel skillet
5.00 my big splurge - a table fan that uses only 15 watts! WOW. That is almost negligible in watts! I feel so silly being all excited over fans, but I really am going to go start a thread on fans right now. Me = watt geek.

At dollar store
$6 six gallon size bins to hold my rice and noodles
$1 grabby thingie for when I go picking up recyclables from in the bushes (out here bushes have spines!)
$1 set of four square food container things that will fit in my dorm fridge (to encourage me to cook my eggs/veggies and set them aside as meals for later in the week)
$1 - car USB port
$1 - kindle foldable LED light

And some food that I used food stamps with, plus i got two boxes of food from the food bank tonite. smile

So expense-wise, $16.75 today. A big day for me. The fan was an unplanned expense, but with the low watt use I expect to get that money back. smile Also, it was half price... wink

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Jilly - You my dear are the frugal queen! queen I love your tips!

You're right, the dollar store can definitely add up! I also find the need to be careful because sometimes you can actually find the same item cheaper at another store like Walmart, like dish soap.

I also find it very difficult to not spend during the week. I'm always forgetting my lunch at home. The kids need something...etc... Weekends are usually easier if I keep my bottom parts at home...LOL...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dianne, I do try to be the frugal queen! Thank you. And it's frustrating to buy something there and then see it less than a dollar at a big box store or a drugstore sale. There's an art to the dollar store shopping...

Now you gave me an idea to write an article on how to shop frugally at the dollar stores. hm...

Oh, and here is the link to my new thread about fans, in excruciating detail - A fan of fans

Last edited by Jilly; 05/09/12 11:38 PM.
Page 5 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 102 103

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.