Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Since I live in Miami the AC is on most of the time. When we do have a dry day, I will turn off the AC and open the windows before I leave for work. If the AC is left on, I do set it at a higher temperature while I am gone so it doesn't run as much.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jeanne, that is good that you are active in your awareness about AC use! I like how you will note if there is a dry day, so you can transfer in some fresh air and hopefully pick up a few breezes.

Florida has got to be the most humid, hottest state in the US for the most months of the year. I'd be all over the AC too.

You are in a townhouse - an outer unit? I think the units in the middles have the advantage for being able to leech off the AC or heat from the ones along the sides.

With a townhouse, I'd think if you can, to crack an upper story window and a lower story window to create a cross current. Heat will rise to the second floor. The lower floor will naturally just be cooler.

Thick drapes over any south or west facing windows or glass doors is pretty much a must. This will deflect a lot of the outdoor heat from coming inside, and help trap the nice cool AC air inside.

Last edited by Jilly; 05/03/12 06:34 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Our townhouse has windows at the back and front so I can get a good breeze running through the entire place. I like to air out the place every so often. As someone else said, it's healthy to do that.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Another thought: Can you turn the AC a bit lower and spend the hottest parts of the day downstairs, or even not at home at all?

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
The bedrooms are upstairs so that is what happens naturally. While school is in session no one is home between the hours of 8:30am and 3pm. Elizabeth comes home around 3pm and then I'm home by 4:15pm. So we have a good six hours where the AC isn't running as much and it's during the hottest part of the day. Also, I keep the blinds closed on the side of the house where the sun happens to be. That helps a little bit.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Summer in Kansas can be very humid. Our previous house was stucco, built in 1926, and shaded by large oak and walnut trees in the front and back.

We bought a whole house window fan and put it in the window. In the evening, we opened windows on both sides of the house to pull cooler air through. In the morning,we would watch the thermometer, and when the outside temp was almost the same as the inside temp, we would close the windows, pull the heavy drapes, and move as little as possible. By the end of the day, our house was 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temp.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Jilly....I miss my alter ego, Cassie, as well!

When it gets to be over 70 degrees in the house, and it is hot and humid outside, then it is time for a/c if the air inside seems very stuffy.

I am one who cannot tolerate heat and humidity.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Gecko
Gecko
Fresh air is the best substitute for the scorching summers. Especially here in India where the temperatures soar up to 35 degrees! Whoosh, what a hot and humid summer!

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hi Jodie! Yes excellent points! Is all of India humid, are are there dryer areas? Fresh air can only help in most matters, in most places.

Update: Today was 90 degrees F and the rest of the week is supposed to be 88 - it was plenty cool in the studio with my techniques. smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Connie, those are some great ideas! What exactly is a whole house fan?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.