Next Thread
Print Thread
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've been working with a few thrift stores in my town and have been appalled to find that a lot of useful donated things get tossed in their trash.

I have been working to come up with ways to make sure things stay out of the waste stream. One is to find out which thrifts have a downstream option for things that are not 'nice' enough for them to sell, but still find a way to send these things off to warehouse type thrifties or overseas charities.

Anyone have any knowledge of which thrift chains are better than others?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I don't know of any that are "better" Jilly, but I do find they are getting more expensive. A little "behind the scenes" birdy told me that some workers keep the best things to themselves, but that happens in regular stores too.

I would imagine they get so many donations - they would throw away a few things. There are a couple south of me that actually throw a bunch of stuff into a shopping cart and auction off the cart - like Storage Wars. You can't pick through the cart first, you have to bid. Once you've successfully "won" (and paid for) the cart, you get to pick through it - keep what you want and throw away the rest.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have heard some goodwills and other thrifts will save old blankets, towels and other linens for animal shelters, which is a great gesture. And other stores will send the unadoptable clothes to outlets (there is one in Phoenix, for example), where people can buy the clothes or fabric very cheaply by the pound.

The last step some charities do is bushel up what fabric materials are left and ship them overseas. For some countries, this is a major industry. And it seems better than having children scour dumps and landfills for whatever rags they can scrounge.

Basically, I would like to see usable things continue to be usable until the very end. At my house, all unwearable clothes (stuff after donatable items are donated) get stacked up for possible sewing supplied or placed directly on the ground in my yard as a bottom layer of mulch.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
My mom used to like to frequent goodwills that had tables wear you could buy clothing by the pound. The tables were piled with items that would otherwise be tossed aside. She found a lot of good stuff there, some needing minor repairs, but most didn't. This would also be great for those who make up cycled crafts from old clothing.
Unfortunately, she tells me that her local Goodwills stopped doing this. It was a good idea, though.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Actually one of those opened up in Fredericksburg, VA down by Massaponax. It's attached to a regular goodwill store. If you have the time dig, it can definitely be a savings.

Last edited by Dianne W - Editor; 12/05/12 12:00 PM.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.