Print Thread
#695564 06/14/11 11:42 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
When you live frugally, you know there is a time when you actually might buy something at full retail prices and still be considered frugal. This happens when you buy something that you will love and get a ton of use out of.

The more you use something, the cheaper the item becomes overall in terms of time and money. If you buy a used dress for $2 at Goodwill but never wear it, it's not a bargain, just for an example.

I have a few things i bought outright, at retail prices and paying sales tax (i know - egads, the horror!), that have ended up being examples of true thrift in the end.

For me some of these things have been

- Books at Amazon.com (some books i read and re-read and get a TON of use from)
- A grabbing stick from Ace hardware that i use to help with my recycling and for digging coupon inserts from dumpsters
- A cute baseball cap branded with the Wilderness Lakes RV Resort on it. I wear hats daily to keep that sun off and invariably reach for this one. I like the color and fit.
- A solar shower for camping
- My internal frame backpack
- My cold weather sleeping bag
- A shelf platform for the back of my RV
- insulation and drywall for my studio

Usually my philosophy is not to buy retail, but these are some instances where the amount of uses these things gets offsets the price per use.

What have you bought retail that ended up being frugal in terms of price per use?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Do you spend money on fad items that you bought at full price and never really used?

J
J
I'm so cheap I never buy fad items or really anything "fashionable" cause it usually costs more.The one thing I have to usually get retail is my shoes. I have very wide feet and finding shoes that fit is an effort.I look for shoes anytime I'm in a thrift store and never have any luck. I usually try to at least find my shoes on sale but last summer I finally decided after going to 4 different stores trying to find comfortable sneakers cheap that I had to pay full price at a sports and outdoors store. The best shoes I've ever had were a pair of new balance shoes that were given to me by a girl whose feet were even bigger than mine.She bought them, realized they were just to tight, and gave them to me. I wore those shoes for 5 years until the tread was pretty much non existent. So last year I decided I would just get the New Balance sneakers for $45 and it really was well worth it.They actually fit my feet which in itself is a major deal.But also they are a year old and show almost no signs a wear.They are fantastic shoes.I would love to be able to find a better deal on them but if I can't its worth it.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here is my review of a very useful purchase - 140 watt car power inverter for travel, camping and emergencies

I am very glad I have this! I have already used it heavily while car camping. It has a USB port for electronics.

H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
I got out in my garden today for the first time this year. I used some tools I bought at full price, but have used for years. Can't imagine doing without them, and use them until the last weeding day in the fall.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What tools do you have, Heidi?

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
juniehyatt......New Balance sneakers are the best! From what I've heard they are the only sneaker made in the USA, and they are highly recommended by doctors for people who need good support for their feet due to arthritis, which I have. I love the feel and fit of these sneakers, and you are right....even paying full price is worth it for the comfort and longevity.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Cassie, i totally agree it's worth paying extra for shoes that fit and support your feet. Your whole body benefits from that! New Balance has some nice things.

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.