T

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I don't know where you live, but most civilized nations have numerous veterinarians who will help prevent diseases in dogs if responsible pet owners bring their animals in for preventive care and check-ups.

Nobody I know shares their food dishes with dogs. Dogs have their own eating and drinking bowls, and they are separate from what the human being would use to cook, serve, and eat their food on. What you are suggesting is that dogs and people share the same filthy bowls to eat, and dogs are allowed to go in among cooking pots to lick them. Who does that? Cleanliness is common sense. Wash and sanitize eating bowls and utensils, keep them separate from your pets, wash the pet bowls separately, and wash hands often to hinder the spread of germs.

Take your dog to a veterinarian on a regular basis for vaccinations and check-ups. Most people do this, and therefore there is NO widespread disease going on due to dogs. Dogs are members of the family like any other pet, and when cared for properly it will not bring disease to the family who loves it.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Shark
Shark
Well said, Cassie!

Different religions all have their different views on a number of animals, and sometimes it seems unfortunate to the rest of us that our beloved dogs especially fall victim to the stigmas that were attached to them in religious texts. What you stated is key to preventing any health issues -- regular vet visits and washing your hands after being out playing with your pup will help keep everyone healthy and happy. That said, I also don't know of any animal -- or person! -- who won't become a carrier of germs and disease if they are not properly cared for -- or exposed to the horrible conditions of large cities centuries ago, before we were familiar with sanitation. Perhaps dogs were just more highly targeted because, like cats, they were rampant, highly visible and tended to move into populated areas.

One of the greatest of history's lessons about dealing with "disease-ridden" animals happened with cats during the plagues in Europe. People thought it was the large numbers of feral cats that were causing the spread of the disease, and cats began to be killed off in masses. Unfortunately now, we know that it only made the plague worse as the cats were killing the real, germ-carrying culprits, the rats.

Makes me glad modern science and medicine has come such a long way!

In fact, the germs that will collect on a dog's fur after being outside or playing with others have been found to actually have a benefit. Check out the University of Wisconsin Department of Pediatric's study "Infants Exposed to Dogs Less Likely to Develop Allergic Diseases". Now, it's thought that when young children are exposed to pets and the dander they carry, it will boost their developing immune systems to make them less susceptible to allergies later in life. Sites like WebMD and papers like the NYTimes have featured similar stories; just like the idea that using too much hand sanitizer will actually weaken your body to germs by not allowing it to gradually be exposed to and build up a defense for things like strains of the common cold.

In fact, some people belonging to religions -- such as Islam -- that cite the dirty nature of dogs are publicly rethinking that. Check out the Huffington Post article by Muslin scholar Ingrid Mattson, "What's Up With Muslims and Dogs?". In some cases, certain groups think it's only dog's saliva that's the problem -- and I think most of us will wash after getting a big, slobbery kiss from even our most beloved dog. But the same texts that say a dog's mouth is unclean also cite the use of hunting dogs -- and we all know how dogs will bring back their prey! Others say it creates a boundary between the human and the divine -- but there are also those who say that angels are present all the time, in good situations and bad, dogs notwithstanding.

In religious texts, there is often the mention of the use of not only hunting dogs, but other canine companions that man relies on. I especially like this excerpt from the Qur'an (which I'm taking from the above-mentioned article) about a group of people fleeing persecution for their believes who were guarded by their faithful dog.

You would have thought them awake, but they were asleep And [God] turned them on their right sides then on their left sides And their dog stretched his forelegs across the threshold

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I'm thinking that toty post is spam.

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have had several posts from toty, I have deleted a few as they were not really relevant to the site and some sections made no sense.

Ps. I have four dogs and we don't get sick from them living with us. Nothing in Quran that says anything about dogs being dirty or infectious or BAD!

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 03/03/12 05:52 PM.

Linda Heywood

Shark
Shark
Probably, but interesting nonetheless =)

(I appealed for advice on this one!)

It was funny, it kind of reminded me of my dad's argument on why I could never have a dog growing up. Not only did he cite them as being high-maintenance, but destructive and dirty as well. When we got our pups, he took on a very, "See, I told you so," stance on the matter, not even allowing said pups in their house. A couple months went past, and my mom asked me if I saw that they had been right now.

My response was something along the lines of realizing that I had been deprived of not a dirty, messy animal in the house, but of a childhood companion that would have been my unwavering best friend, playmate and adopted brother/sister. I said that not having a dog was one of my biggest regrets of my childhood... so parts of this argument hit some memories.

Debra Kelly

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Shark
Shark
Exactly!!

I'm in the process of writing an article about the health benefits of owning dogs for an area health magazine... there's so much information out there to support the idea that it's healthy to have a dog. I'm going to have to watch my word count!

(No matter how many articles I show my dad, it doesn't help, lol -- he's approaching 70 and not likely to change his ways anytime soon!)

Debra Kelly

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Funny about the dad thing. Unfortunately, if you showed him that list of articles, he might notice it's mostly about health benefits to children, not 70-year old men!!

That just leaves more dogs for you and me to love. We'll fill in the gap he leaves open, OK?

Speaking of more dogs to love, I've got a very long list of dogs all across the country that are in shelters and rescue centers that need new homes. I've hooked up with a very active network of animal enthusiasts as a result of the fire in my county last September but their reach and the animals in need are everywhere. It breaks my heart to see their beautiful faces and I simply cannot bring myself to read their stories. I'm still not in a stable, long-term living arrangement so cannot take on any more than my two old dogs that I've had since their births but I want every one of them I see on FB!

If any of your readers want to see what doggies are in the need-to-be-adopted window, please have them friend / message me on Facebook or via this forum and tell what you're interested in. I'll forward photos, stories, contact info, etc.

There are also lots of cats, horses, donkeys, pigs, goats, the occasional bird, and other animals needing a forever home, too. They'd all love to meet you.

Did you know black cats and dogs are the least likely to become adopted because people have a negative, fearful opinion of black animals? My next pets are going to be black, I've already decided that. Does anybody else want to provide a loving home to a black cat or dog? I know of some who are just dying to meet you!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Shark
Shark
Yea, but even if he feels a little bit guilty about depriving me of a chance for a best friend during my childhood, it would be worth it!!

I'm all for filling in the gaps people like him leave! I would love another dog... but I'm not sure mine will eve allow another canine in the pack after the last fiasco, lol.

FB is such a great tool to get faces and stories out there... agreed, they are so absolutely heartbreaking. Every time I see the feeds from Bruised Not Broken, a pit bull rescue.... ugh, I just want to take them all home!

I did an article on the, for lack of a better word, phenomenon associated with black dogs and cats. My last cat was black... she had sat at the Humane Society for three months without getting a second look. She was almost impossible to see in her little cage, just a black smear in the cage. She was my best friend for years, and one of the best things that ever happened to me. The plight of black dogs and cats is one that's close to my heart.

Black Dog Syndrome

Debra Kelly

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.