Adding a new puppy or dog to the family is a commitment for life, and it's important to get your relationship off to the right start. Finding the right dog is crucial, and for those who have decided to go to a breeder for a specific kind of dog, finding the right one is just as important. While there are no guarantees, there are some things that you can look for in order to make sure you're going through the right person and getting a healthy, well-adjusted puppy.

Finding a Reputable Breeder

On a personal note: Please keep in mind that there is no substitute for seeing the puppy before you buy him, as well as the parents and the home he or she is born into. Pictures and references can be faked, and we found out the hard way that it's only seeing that is believing. I have two beautiful dogs that I wouldn't trade for the world, but because of the unsanitary conditions they were born into, our boy will have health problems for his entire life. I don't doubt we were meant to have our cattle dogs, but it saddens me to no end to know that there are other litters out there born into the same horrible conditions that they were.

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899